Careers that Change Lives
The Software Engineer is a technical individual contributor role within the R&D engineering team that is developing Medtronic’s Robotic Assisted Surgical Device (RASD). This individual shall collaborate with Software Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Integration Engineers, Reliability Engineers and Service Engineers to ensure the system design meets system and subsystem requirements. This engineer shall contribute to the development of mechanical, electrical, software components for a complex system that includes aspects of robotics, controls, imaging, multi-user interfaces and minimally invasive surgical instrumentation.
A Day in the Life:
Design Output Evaluation
• Maintains working knowledge of the system design and performance against the requirements
• Works with integration and test teams for understanding the system-level capability and performance limits of the design
• Contributes to the assessment of proposed design changes and impact based on test evidence
• Reviews system-level verification test methods and provides technical input to the verification testing team
Integration and Issue Resolution
• System Engineering representative for system-level integration and testing
• Works with Subsystem hardware, Software and Integration teams to plan integration points
• Works with the Integration Team, Reliability Test Team and Subsystem Engineers for trouble shooting/root-cause analysis and corrective action to resolve anomalies
• Provides written disposition and evidence to resolve anomalies generated from integration issues.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
• 0+ years of experience
Nice to Have:
• Prior experience in system-level development of a complex electro-mechanical system
• Experience working with multiple teams on concurrent projects
• Experience with Linux, shell scripting, software installation, etc
• Experience with electro-mechanical devices controlled by software.
• Working experience in full-lifecycle engineering programs and processes
• Excellent communication skills
• Knowledge of relevant technologies including:
• Mechatronics / Robotics
• Mechanical and electrical interfaces
• Communication protocols
• Sensors, actuators, controllers
• Kinematics of mechanisms
• Vision and display systems
• Good understanding of structured product development (requirements-driven engineering, documentation, rigorous verification, etc.) Engineering verification test development and execution
• Understanding and experience with system reliability testing and service.
• Experience with QNX and knowledge of C and C++.
• Medical device development experience
• Knowledge of medical product R&D and clinical/regulatory process
Standard office setting, clean room, surgical lab, operating room, pilot lab, external research organizations, supplier visits, some travel as required