The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
The USAID-funded Vector Control (VC) Task Order (TO) 1 Project supports the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), as well as USAID Missions and Bureaus with malaria programs outside the PMI focus countries, in planning and implementing integrated vector control programs and entomological monitoring with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria in Africa by enhancing USAID’s ability to implement IRS programs on the ground through cost-effective commodities procurement and logistics systems, access to technical expertise, and implementation of IRS in countries affected by malaria.
Abt Associates seeks a Senior Entomologist / Technical Advisor to support PMI-funded integrated vector control program. Under the supervision of the AIRS project Technical Director, the Senior Entomologist / Technical Advisor provides technical support to the project’s entomological surveillance activities in multiple countries and will guide country technical managers in the collection of data on key entomological indicators, analysis and interpretation of entomological data.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Support PMI Vector Control TO1 project countries in the preparation of annual comprehensive entomological monitoring work plans and budgets.
- Providing technical oversight, continuous support and ensure that entomological monitoring activities are conducted in accordance with WHO and CDC guidelines and best practices.
- Support capacity assessment and capacity building of technical staffs of the project, country institutions and other relevant partners to ensure countries undertake high quality entomological monitoring activities independently without the need for STTA (short term technical assistance).
- In collaboration with country project teams and entomology coordinators identify and select sub-contracts and consultants for entomological monitoring support and help in the development of SOW (scope of work) when deemed necessary in the project countries.
- Work closely with project countries to identify gaps related to materials, test kits, insecticide impregnated papers for both adult and larval testing and other items needed for successful implementation of comprehensive entomological monitoring activities particularly those items that need to be procured internationally and follow up the procurement process and timely delivery of these items.
- Support project countries in the analysis and write up of entomological monitoring reports.
- Review the content of entomological monitoring reports for technical accuracy.
- Advise USAID/PMI and counterparts in planning and implementation of integrated vector control based on evidence generated by the project and other partners.
- Support project countries to develop national entomological monitoring plans and to mobilize resources to help strengthen entomological monitoring activities.
- Publish findings of entomological monitoring project in peer-reviewed journals, share lessons learned and best practices in national, regional and international forums and contribute to the national and international vector control information pool to influence policies.
- Ensure the transfer of technical skills to local institutions.
- Participate in M&E activities of the project.
- Perform other additional duties assigned by the project.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s degree (minimum), Doctorate degree (desirable), in Medical Entomology
- 7 to 10years of relevant professional work experience with a Master’s Degree, or 4 to 6years with a Doctorate, including at least 4years of experience directly related to integrated vector control managementExperience in regulatory and operational aspects of vector control methods and management
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal direction and supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members
- Good management and planning skills of project tasks
- Produces high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner, and has excellent writing skills
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and computer skills
- Experience with USAID and donor projects is highly desirable
- Entomology field experience in Africa.
- French and Englishlanguagesrequired
- MA/MBA with 7 - 10years of experience OR PhD with 4 - 6years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.