In Research, Development & Quality (RD&Q), your skills can be the special ingredient that brings our brands to life. As part of a fantastic team of scientists, engineers and nutritionists, you’ll work tirelessly on product design or development, process development, quality, nutrition, sensory and food safety aspects to ensure we deliver a consistent, delightful consumer experience. RD&Q is where you’ll turn great ideas into brilliant brands.
Purpose of Role
Translating complex technical challenges into computer models and simulations to enable rapid, high quality innovation across our chocolate, biscuit, gum & candy categories. Specializing in food chemistry and using external partners build simulations in computational chemistry, reaction kinetic and molecular modelling.
- Works with engineers & scientists to define complex technical challenges to be solved.
- Selects the appropriate modelling tools to solve the problem and, if necessary, the correct external partner to build the model / simulation.
- Defines needs for data to build the simulation and works with analytical team or external organisations to collect the information required, this may require making and measuring products themselves.
- Ensure simulations are validated against experimental data, this may include running or managing the experiments or trials required.
- Communicates outputs from the simulation and works with engineering and R&D teams to ensure learning is embedded in the business quickly to speed up innovation and optimization.
- Write and builds best practice documentation from learnings discovered.
- Develops simplified software tools for others to use based on the simulations
- Researches and keeps up-to-date with developments in computational chemistry.
- Supervises research projects to develop further modelling techniques or material characterization, both internally and externally.
- Maintains and develops simulation resources including hardware and software updates, working with IT department to maintain security and back-up systems.
- Other R&D support as required.
- Bachelordegree or higher in a Chemistry or Chemistry-related subject
- 5+ years experience of solving chemistry-related industrial problems from defining the problem though to validation and communicating output
- Awareness of a broad range of computational chemistry tools (e.g. molecular modelling, reaction kinetics), and experience of using some (e.g. gPROMS, COSMOtherm, Gaussian, gSAFT etc.)
- Experience of collaborating externally
- Ability to communicate complex problems simply to a non-technical audience with business relevant context
- Global experience and additional language preferred.