The Associate, Underwriting & Portfolio Management manages a portfolio of complex and/ or high dollar commercial auto dealer relationships within Dealer Commercial Services (Chrysler Capital), and routinely monitors them for risks inherent in a business loan portfolio. S/he provides support to the manager of the department on continuous improvement initiatives and take the lead on projects that support loan growth and efficiency objectives within lines of business. The Associate, Underwriting & Portfolio Management helps deliver an industry-leading experience for both internal and external customers and acts as a subject matter expert.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Primary contact for dealers within assigned portfolio; owns the day to day customer relationships including working with other functional departments (credit, legal, risk, audit) in addressing items pertaining to assigned portfolio.
- Responsible for day to day relationship management including overall performance of the loan portfolio – management of delinquency, management of credit lines, file conditions, covenant monitoring, file maintenance, audit performance and data integrity.
- Helps to structure deals with assigned portfolio.
- Leads deal diligence process including identifying all key risks within assigned portfolio.
- Manages legal aspect of deal process within assigned portfolio.
- Mentors junior resources on portfolio management best practices.
- Oversees internal approval process including ensuring accurate and timely completion of internal approval write-ups and leading deal merit discussion on internal approval calls.
- Reviews relevant deal documents / information provided in data room, by Company / Sponsor, and third party reports for assigned portfolio.
At Santander, we value and respect differences in our workforce and strive to increase the diversity of our teams. We actively encourage everyone to apply.
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Management, Economics or equivalent field, or equivalent work experience
- 5-9 years relevant professional experience, preferably in managing commercial dealer auto relationships (portfolio management)
- Experience with underwriting loan transactions
- Financial analysis, structuring, underwriting and portfolio management experience
- Ability to foster strong partnerships with the related documentation and underwriting units
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with little supervision
- Ability to work well with others and on teams
- Comfortable in customer contact situations including escalations and potential work-out/loan restructure environments
- Demonstrated knowledge in financial modeling and able to structure credit in modeling environment.
- Able to assist RM's on how to structure the credit relationship
- Demonstrated practical and conceptual knowledge of credit and risk analysis
- Exhibits competency at independently reaching conclusions and forms clear view of credit structure and business risk to organization
- Strong judgment and sound credit skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Skilled in proposing and negotiating and recommending credit and covenant structures
- Solid knowledge of loan and related legal documents
- Solid understanding of auto industry nuances applicable to the credits contained within the group's portfolio
- Strong analytical skills and proficient with financial statements
- Strong communication skills, and ability to influence others by persuasively presenting thoughts and ideas to gain commitment and agreement for proposed ideas and solutions
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Takes responsibility for achieving strong results, despite balancing multiple complex demands
- Identifies the component parts of a complex situation or problem and the relationship among variables that are not obvious