Associate Manager, Integration/Test Engineering - Launch Vehicle Avionics
The Test Engineering Manager for Launch Vehicle Avionics will have primary responsibility for establishing the initiatives and objectives of the Test Design and Support group. These objectives include the development and support of state-of-the-art test systems used in the production of Launch Vehicle Avionics.
Provide effective management of test engineering resources in support of manufacturing and new product development so that technical objectives, cost, and schedulebudgets are met.
- Determine the scope of projects, establish staffing needs, make staffing assignments, monitor progress toward objectives, provide reliable estimates to complete
- Maintain test group tools, facilities, equipment and capabilities
- Provide labor and resource capacity and capability forecasting; support hiring activities for the group
- Define, maintain, improve and manage the test equipment development processes
- Develop vision, methodology, and test system architectures to enable new opportunities and improve reliability and robustness of test set solutions
- Mentor, coach, and assist other test engineers in design, build, validation, maintenance of test equipment, documentation, and test software
- Write personnel development plans
- Take an active role in personnel development, including formal training and mentoring
- Generate formal performance reviews with each person in the group
- Make merit recommendations during the yearly merit review cycle
- Generate 9-blocks used to identify key talent and grow individuals on the team
- Proactively flow project information, status, issues, and help needed to the department; support the department's management activities
Develop and contribute test design and engineering solutions for key programs and product lines.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external customers
- Develop test sets and equipment for production test
- Provide test development to support engineering validation/verification testing
- Generate and/or review test requirement documents
- Troubleshoot product and/or test equipment issues, seeking root cause and implementing corrective action for issues
- Analyze failure data for trends, systemic issues, and to reduce/eliminate test escapements
- Create checklists and design guidelines to ensure consistent engineering quality and provide metrics to drive continuous improvement.
- Identify and manage design risk of test engineering projects
Provide bid and proposal support for recurring work as well as new business opportunities.
- Bachelor's Degree required with a minimum of 6 years prior relevant experience OR a Graduate Degree with a minimum of 4 years of prior related experience. Electrical or Electronics Engineering preferred, but will also consider other technical fields
- Minimum of 6 years of test equipment design, build, and/or verification and technical management experience.
- Desire to lead the organization in solid engineering processes and an interest in developing, training, and growing a technical team.
- Competency in project management, control account management, and project planning
- Working knowledge of electronics, typical test requirements and applications
- Proficient in Test Development Languages
- Broad knowledge of electronic, mechanical, and software engineering disciplines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership and team-building skills
- Ability to make complex decisions with sparse data
- MS Office products including MS Word and Excel
- Familiarity with EMI, vibration, and thermal testing a plus
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Working knowledge of radio communications technologies, RF amplifier systems, and Launch Vehicle Avionics
- Working knowledge of system engineering practices