Science and Applied Technology:
The vision for the Science and Applied Technology group is about putting science to work in finding answers to challenges of today and tomorrow. Our group is staffed with trusted and empowered scientists and engineers. The Associate Manager for Computational Simulations, reporting to the Advanced-aided Engineering Manager within R&D, will be a key part of us achieving our vision, building strong capabilities and driving the cultural changes to enable better, faster, and more cost-effective product development.
We are looking for an experienced professional with expertise in the solid mechanics and fluid dynamics. This role being at the cross-category level provides an opportunity to share and build modeling and simulation technical skill sets across many dimensions. The primary responsibility is to implement SCJ's capability in the structure and fluid analysis and optimize of components and prototypes aligned to business needs across divisions. This role will have high visibility presenting and interacting with the senior management and a diverse set of professionals in identifying and exploring ways to further strengthen organization's simulation capabilities that will have direct impact on SC Johnson's businesses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Function as the expert on mechanical design analysis, solid mechanics, finite element analysis and first-principle design calculations.
- Develop and implement computational tools/models in validating and improving designs of components and systems.
- Perform laboratory validation by making appropriate prototypes, developing testing hardware, and conducting validations.
- Participate in cross-functional teams taking ownership of relevant work-streams. Recommend/coordinate design, analysis, and test methods to improve time to market.
- Update own knowledge by periodically attending conferences and user forums.
Required Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Science or Polymer Engineering and five plus years' experience in a consumer product environment with a focus on application of finite element analysis and computational fluid dynamics to design solutions or an advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering or Polymer Engineering with at least 3plus years' experience in a consumer product environment with a focus on application of finite element analysis and computational fluid dynamics to design solutions.
Preferred Skills / Experience / Competencies:
- Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering or Polymer Engineering
- Strong capabilities in using of FEA/CFD tools like ANSYS Mechanics and ANSYS CFD.
- Experienced in developing and applying test methods in an engineering lab.
- Hands-on experience in conducting laboratory experiments in support of modeling work.
- Knowledgeable in the mechanical properties of a variety of materials – plastics and metals.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and presentation skills to effectively converse with and align technical consultants, scientists, project leaders and senior management, and with ability totranslate complex technical information into simple logical stories.
- Experienced in static and dynamic analysis, fluid mechanics, meshing strategies, material properties and behavior, understanding failure modes, development of constituent models.
- Ability to apply CAD to prototype parts for testing purposes.
- Excellent communication, teamwork skills and ability to form and work in cross-functional and cross-organizational teams.
- Proactive and results oriented, with suitable project management skills.
- Ability to synthesize current state of technology capability and design approaches to enhance and execute against plans.
- Leadership, influence, and teamwork skills to effectively work across internal organizational boundaries
- Full time Monday-Friday Core Office hours
- Minimum 10% travel
- Ability to sit, stand, and lift to 25 lbs.