Associate Legal Director, Policy
About the Role:
We’re looking for an experienced lawyer with exceptional credentials and deep experience in policy, internet law, and political law to join our Legal team and provide legal support for Twitter’s Public Policy function. Twitter’s Public Policy team focuses on public policy issues posed by the continuing spread of digital technology and web-based communications services around the world. These issues range from freedom of expression, online safety, intellectual property, copyright, privacy, and Internet freedom.
You will be Twitter’s lead lawyer on legislative matters, as well as our lead lawyer providing advice on political and regulatory law. You’ll work in close collaboration the rest of the Legal organization, the Public Policy team, and with teams across the company (including Trust & Safety, Communications, and Product and Engineering), on complex legislative and public policy related issues. You should have amazing interpersonal skills, a fantastic communication style, a commitment to teamwork, and an ability to navigate sensitive issues on a tight timeframe.
What You’ll Do:
- Support Twitter’s Public Policy organization on legislative and regulatory matters across the country.
- Provide legal advice and counsel to internal clients on legislative and policy issues.
- Manage compliance with lobbying disclosure laws for Twitter.
- Review and analyze legal risks related to policy issues important for Twitter and the people who use our platform.
- Collaborate with outside counsel to efficiently respond to external legal inquiries related to public policy issues.
- Work hand in hand with Twitter’s Litigation Team, Data Protection Officer, Product Counsel team, and Law Enforcement & Safety team to coordinate legal inputs on legislative and policy matters.
- Partner with our Public Policy organization to monitor legal issues related to public policy priorities.
- Support the preparation of materials for engagement with policymakers, regulators, and lawmakers.
- Conduct bill review and analysis.
- Support our public policy team in interactions with key government representatives.
- 10+ years of relevant experience, including experience providing legal support to technology companies and/or government bodies on issues related to the internet.
- J.D., with bar admission in good standing.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Strong understanding of the legislative process and the technology industry.
- Experience leading cross-functional teams with excellent results.
- Significant experience in government, politics, and/or public policy with deep familiarity across all three disciplines.
- Fluency in communications and/or social media technology, combined with a passion about the power of communications to change the world for the better.