Associate - International Trade
The Washington, D.C. office of Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner is seeking an associate with 2 to 4 years of experience in private practice, industry or government with respect to legal, compliance, investigation, and enforcement issues arising under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), and sanctions administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
The ideal candidate will be familiar with the EAR, ITAR, and various sanctions programs administered by OFAC. The candidate will also have experience drafting cross border commercial contracts, including, but not limited to, licensing, outsourcing, agency and sales and logistics agreements.
In addition, candidates should have exposure to, and an interest in developing knowledge and skills in, the following areas: 1. Conducting internal investigations;
2. Drafting voluntary disclosures to the relevant government enforcement authorities;
3. Responding to government inquiries, administrative and criminal subpoenas, and other forms of government investigations;
4. Conducting due diligence and reverse due diligence reviews related to export controls, sanctions and anti-corruption compliance in the context of due diligence in mergers and acquisitions;
5. Advising on issues related to export controls and economic sanctions in the context of day-to-day business transactions; and
6. Drafting cross border commercial contracts, including, but not limited to, licensing, outsourcing, agencyand sales and logistics agreements.
Familiarity with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and U.S. anti-boycott laws and regulations is strongly preferred.
The position will involve developing experience in best practices for compliance with US export controls and sanctions regulations, includinginternal compliance policies and procedures, transaction screening, commodity jurisdiction and classification, licensing, training, and auditing.
Excellent academic credentials and at least 2 to 4 years of relevant experience required. Other requirements include excellent interpersonal skills, strong writing skills, team player, attention to detail, strong work ethic, and the ability to manage multiple priorities and assume a highdegree of responsibility.
Qualified candidates should enter and confirm your email address above, and select “Submit” to complete the online application process. Applications will be held in strict confidence