FMC Corporation is a leading specialty company focused on agricultural and lithium technologies. We are proud that our products help grow that world's food, improve health and contribute to a more sustainable energy supply.
FMC is a globally diverse organization that offers its employees exciting opportunities to work on challenging projects that are important to the achievement of our strategic objectives. Your education and professional experience are valued and put to use from day one. Your success at completing key initiatives can result in a varied, progressive and fulfilling career with FMC.
With a corporate culture of innovation, integrity, responsibility and customer intimacy, we foster “The Right Chemistry” in everything we do. We are looking for people to join us in creating, developing, and improving our products, our processes, and our markets. In short, If you are ready to make a difference every day, FMC is ready to talk to you.
The Ag Solutions, Research & Development, Herbicide Discovery Group has an immediate opening for a motivated Associate Investigator to work in our Newark, Delaware research facility. The successful candidate will work independently and under the supervision of a Principal Investigator on projects related to the discovery, optimization and characterization of safe and sustainable new weed control technologies for Global agriculture.
Working in a team environment, the successful candidate will have job responsibilities, which include but are not limited to:
- Experimental test implementation involving bioassays to detect the effects of chemicals on crops and weeds including studies with numerous biological observations and test evaluations
- Plant bioassay propagation: successfully grow and maintain a wide variety of high quality bioassays to support multiple levels of screening operations in controlled greenhouse and growth chamber environments. In depth understanding of water, light, temperature, and fertilizer requirements of different species as related to healthy plant growth.
- Compound dilution, preparation, formulation and application of test solutions
- Capability to independently design and implement tests to answer specific research questions
- Field, growth chamber and greenhouse plant production and propagation as necessary to support research efforts
- Occasionally this research may require field applications using small plot technique.
- Data collection, collation, analysis and generation of reports using various software tools.
- Understanding of design of experiments and experience in statistical data analysis as needed for technical data summarization.
- Ability to present summary technical results in both internal and external meeting formats.
- Ability to troubleshoot impediments to successful test implementation and devise improvements in testing protocols
MS in Weed Science, Crop Science, Agronomy, Botany or related discipline, with a working knowledge of biological and organic chemistry; or equivalent experience and knowledge in such areas or BS with at least 10 years of research experience
- Basic laboratory skills, including but not limited to analytical weighing, liquid transfer, sample preparation, serial dilution, treatment application, test evaluation and collection of data.
- Strict observance and adherence to required and approved safety procedures.
- Familiarity or experience in safely working withchemicals of unknown toxicological hazard.
- Familiarity with and interest in conducting greenhouse, controlled environment chamber, and/or field trials with experimental chemicals.
- Strong critical thinking capabilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including group presentations of experimental results.
- Good computer skills with an understanding of MSWindows Operating System and typical MS Office suite applications as well as applications such as Outlook and other databases.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Willing to work in a group of diverse people while supporting team members to meet team objectives. As appropriate, possess the ability to work independently.