Viasat, Inc. seeks an experienced attorney for its in-house legal department in Carlsbad, California, to work with Viasat's in-flight and other mobile connectivity offerings. The successful candidate will be able to work at all levels of the Company and grow into a leadership position. You will focus primarily on commercial transactions in a technology-based business — negotiating, drafting, and analyzing a wide variety of sales, internet advertising, media, strategic alliance, and service agreements. You'll advise our management on the various legal risks, business strategies, and other issues related to the company's fast-growing business. You must be diligent and proactive, show excellent business judgment and strategic thinking, along with the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a collegial, fast-paced team environment. Specifically, the right candidate will be able to:
- Draft and negotiate a wide variety of contracts, including complex sales and services agreements, internet advertising and sponsorship agreements, and strategic alliance agreements, all consistent with Company policies and risk tolerance.
- Provide advice to all levels of the Company in all areas, including Operations, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Engineering, and Business Development, advising on legal issues and risks, deal structures, negotiation strategy, and company policies and procedures, and communicating legal concepts in a way that non-lawyers can understand.
- Create and implement strategies for early resolution of contractual disputes.
- Provide legal support for the group's expanding international operations.
- Assist in other general transactional and corporate matters as necessary.
- 5+ years' prior experience, preferably in a transactional-focused in-house practice with a technology business.
- Juris Doctorate degree or equivalent with excellent academic credentials.
- Demonstrated experience advising clients in structuring complex commercial transactions, including in-depth experience in contract negotiation and drafting.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills with attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy, together with the ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written; must be able to ask clear, concise questions involving complex technology to get requisite answers from business partners and Legal Department colleagues.
- Ability to take initiative and adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced corporate environment.
- International experience and willingness to travel up to 25% of time, including international travel
Years of experience: