The Associate General Counsel will primarily support commercial law matters and technology agreements. In addition, the role will advise on corporate matters, general risk compliance, privacy law, international, insurance, and other matters.
The Legal team helps the Stamps.com family of companies achieve strategic goals, manage legal risk, and preserve the legal and ethical integrity of the company. We are regularly involved in critical, complex operations, and partner across the offices of the company to support our growth and progress globally. Although not a large team, we work hard to build relationships across time-zones, borders, and legal frameworks. We pride ourselves in our ability to collaborate, both as a team and cross-functionally.
- Administer Commercial Contracts and Legal Agreements.
- Support legal advice, guidance and compliance to business units.
- Fulfill Company Legal and Regulatory requirements.
- Manage several legal staff members.
Essential Position Duties:
- Directly, and by delegating work to others on the team, structure, draft, and negotiate a variety of commercial transactions, including SaaS agreements, eCommerce partner agreements, reseller agreements, referral agreements, professional services agreements, NDAs, DPAs, complex vendor agreements, and other related agreements.
- Partner with business development, product, sales, sales operations, finance, information security, customer success, and other functions to ensure efficient and effective legal support for commercial transactions while building strong relationships across all levels.
- Provide strategic legal and business advice on broad range of areas applicable to commercial transactions, including general business law, regulatory, data protection, and intellectual property issues.
- Oversee the implementation of any necessary systems and processes to manage contracts.
- Assist with a variety of legal matters including general risk management, privacy, employment, litigation, international, intellectual property, insurance, regulatory law and investigations.
Additional Positon Duties:
- Sit for prolonged periods of time
- Utilize wrist and hands for a prolonged period of time
- Walk short distances
- Stand for short periods
- Speaking and conversing with others
- Lift up to 25lbs without assistance up to chest height
Required Education and/or Experience:
- J.D. from top tier ABA accredited law school and current California bar membership in good standing
- Twelve or more (12+) years of relevant legal and business experience (both top tier law firm and sophisticated in-house experience beneficial)
- Significant experience with e-Commerce and SaaS business models
Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability and desire to lead the commercial transactions across the company
- Excellent negotiation and drafting skills, and a willingness to help build and develop those traits in the team
- Ability to assess risk and provide guidance to the business team
- Ability to quickly and confidently make sound decisions, and influence business colleagues and senior management
- High degree of accountability, self-motivation, and drive
- Service-orientation and commitment to professionalism and teamwork
- Strong interpersonal skills
Additional Management Responsibilities:
- Performance Management: setting and managing goals, on-going coaching, corrective action, annual reviews, rewards/recognition, and team/individual development
- Employee Life Cycle Management: headcount forecasting, job descriptions, recruiting/hiring, termination
- Governance: ensuring compliance to company policy/practice (e.g. attendance, behavior, workplace attire), ensuring compliance to employment law (e.g. time keeping, anti-harassment and diversity)
- Leadership: ensures availability to staff, team building, building rapport with individuals, encouraging strong collaborative relationships between individuals and departments, facilitating a healthy work/life mix, solicits and applies feedback (internal and external to team), self-improvement as a leader/manager of people
- Culture Ambassador: proactively demonstrate and cultivate a culture of cooperative collaboration, strong work ethic, solutions-orientation, quality focus, results-orientation, relaxed/enjoyable atmosphere, team- and individual- celebration, and company/product pride