At MemorialCare Health System, we believe in providing extraordinary healthcare to our communities and an exceptional working environment for our employees. MemorialCare stands for excellence in Healthcare. Across our family of medical centers and physician groups, we support each one of our bright, talented employees in reaching the highest levels of professional development, contribution, collaboration and accountability. Whatever your role and whatever expertise you bring, we are dedicated to helping you achieve your full potential in an environment of respect, innovation and teamwork.
Provides proactive, timely and accurate legal counsel and advice to management and executives to assist in achieving the business and compliance goals of the organization; provides significant expertise, background and experience in medical related acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, and similar business relationships; knowledge and experience in acquisitions/joint ventures, managed care agreements, medical foundation formation, IS contracts, government reimbursement, compliance support, licensing, Stark, Fraud/Abuse, EMTALA, regulatory and compliance matters as well as Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement; performs risk analysis to aid management reaching well thought out business decisions; performs legal analysis, legal research and investigation; understands and maintains knowledge base on developing area of healthcare reform, develops documentation and participates in decisions and negotiations; experienced at creating and reviewing contracts and agreements, and is able to represent the Corporation or its officials invarious legal, administrative, and regulatory proceedings to advance MemorialCare's mission.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Possess and maintains significant knowledge of a wide variety of healthcarelaw and regulation as described above. Obtains additional knowledge when necessary.
- Advises management with timely and accurate analysis of legal, policy, operational and strategic issues.
- Identifies, assesses and mitigates legal and compliance risks arising from business activities and facilitates proactive management of risks, including management and employee education and training.
- Manages multiple projects independently and simultaneously.
- Able to effectively prioritize work and consistently meet deadlines.
- Researches and advises the company on state and federal laws and regulations.
- Drafts and negotiates agreements.
- Represents the organization and independently advises on matters related to above listed areas of expertise.
- Represents the Corporation and/or its officials in various administrative, regulatory or legal proceedings.
- Supervises non-professional staff and/or student employees.
- Interacts cooperatively and professionally with all levels of the organization. Able to participate cooperatively and effectively with teams to study issues or accomplish specific tasks and provide legal services as needed.
- Provides excellent responsiveness to the needs of the organization and maintain positive relations and ongoing communication with clients regarding progress and deadlines.
- Manages time wisely, shows initiative, independent judgment, and demonstrates a sense of urgency on a daily basis.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
10+ years of healthcare related work experience
Doctorate degree in Jurisprudence from an accredited institution
Member of California State Bar
MemorialCare Health System is a not-for-profit integrated delivery system which includes six top hospitals – Long Beach Memorial Medical Center, Miller Children’s Hospital Long Beach, Community Hospital Long Beach, Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center, and Saddleback Memorial Medical Center in Laguna Hills; medical groups – MemorialCare Medical Group, an Independent Practice Association (IPA) – Greater Newport Physicians; and numerous outpatient health centers throughout the Southland.