Brookfield Properties Retail Group has an immediate need for an Associate General Counsel at our corporate headquarters in Chicago, IL.
Brookfield Properties Retail Group is a retail real estate company headquartered in Chicago, Illinois and owned by affiliates of Brookfield Asset Management. Our regional shopping centers are destinations for retail, lifestyle, dining, entertainment and so much more. Our extensive portfolio of properties spans the nation, encompassing 163 locations across 42 states and representing over 146 million square feet of retail space. All of our properties are strategically located in regional and coastal areas that constitute the "heart" of America.
Our passionate team is comprised of experts across a range of specialties who share a goal of ensuring our properties are continuously evolving and innovating to meet the needs of our communities. Our company culture celebrates collaboration, encourages an entrepreneurial spirit and values diversity. We are very proud to have a team of premier talent who are in it to win it. We invite you to be part of our success story.
The Legal Department seeks to add an experienced, energetic commercial real estate attorney to proactively support leasing activities. The law department provides to its varied client base a broad range of legal expertise, experience and practical knowledge in all facets of the business. The Legal Department’s focus on partnering with its clients, strong commitment to quality legal representation, and collegial team atmosphere make this an outstanding place to practice sophisticated commercial real estate law.
- Negotiate, draft, and review retailleases (including big box development leases), office leases, subleases, lease amendments, termination agreements, construction exhibits and other real estate contracts, lease action documentation and related real estate documentation (e.g., letters of intent, licenses, easement agreements, term commencement agreements, memoranda of lease, waivers of exclusives, lien release agreements, reciprocal access agreements, letters of credit, title reports, declarations of conditions, covenants and restrictions, etc.) that are clear, legally sound, and in terms favorable to the Company.
- Analyze and address legal and contractual matters affecting Shopping Center tenants’ use and operation.
- Assure that all agreements and contractual arrangements entered into on behalf of the Company comply with applicable corporate approvals.
- Review existing leases and department store documentation and/or REA’s for analysis; counsel internal clients with regard to development and redevelopment issues and impacts on existing contracts/leases.
- Advise and counsel the Company internal clients with respect to the legal implications of proposed transactions.
- Retain, direct and control outside counsel to advise and represent the Company.
- Develop and maintain open communication and good working relationships with tenants and employee clients.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A J.D. from a leading law school, with proven academic success
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant law leasing and commercial real estate experience with a law firm and/or corporation
- Proven ability to independently, and on a “first-chair” basis, structure, draft, negotiate, manage and close sophisticated real estate, development and financing transactions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong negotiation ability, with an eye toward pragmatic, mutually beneficial outcomes
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to interface with colleagues at all levels, by virtue of professional competence, personal integrity, and personal style
- Outstanding client management skills, with an ability to inspire confidence and trust with a variety of clients
- Proven ability to handle stressful situations, a diverse and high-volume workload, and provide client service in a calm and professional manner
- Flexibility and strong analytic and problem-solving ability
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment
- Proven success in managing multiple tasks and priorities
- A dedication and commitment to practicing law in a fast-paced, dynamic environment