Purpose of the Associate Engineer, Network Position: Supports multiple sub-groups within the GCI Business Department; responsible for architectural design, development, implementation, and support within the company and/or between business departments that follow telecommunication industry standards using engineering principles.
Essential Duties of the Position:
- Ensures the integrity of high availability network infrastructure in order to provide maximum performance in design, implementation, and support.
- Defines, designs, and implements network and/or system facilities utilizing standard engineering concepts of availability, efficiency, redundancy, scalability, and security.
- Designs and implements new solutions and continues improvement of the current network and/or systems facilities.
- Maximizes performance through the use of network monitoring tools, troubleshooting network and/or system outages, scheduling updates, and collaborating with architects on optimization.
- Maintains professional skillset by participating in educational opportunities, technical organizations, reading professional publications, and personal use of technology.
- Provides detailed reports on network operational status, and milestones related to project completion.
- Configures firewalls, routers, switches, voice, and video hardware in support of network operations and projects.
- Capable of remote site support for off-site personnel and customers.
- Audits, forecasts, and manages capacity of IP addressing, bandwidth forecasting, hardware, software licensing, and hosted devices.
- Coordinates with project management and engineering teams on a regular basis.
- Supports and manages escalation events.
- Develops and updates documentation and support materials.
- Mentors junior engineers and technicians.
- Assists with the configuration of firewalls, routers, switches, voice, and video hardware in support of network operations and projects.
- Using network monitoring tools, troubleshoot network and/or system outages, and scheduling updates.
Additional Job Requirements: This is an entry level position for the non-degreed professional. Requires the ability to provide technical/engineering related assistance to higher level staff and must be familiar with engineering and network functions, aspects, and applicable codes and standards. Under close supervision, participate in higher level of work assignments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understands standard network engineering concepts.
- Understands firewalls, routers, switches, voice and/or video hardware, network applications and related technologies.
- Experienced in diagnosis of Layer-2 and Layer-3 data network problems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of IP address nomenclature, protocols and routing.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to create and edit network drawings.
- Ability to provide training to team members on technology.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment, professionally.
Experience required for the Associate Engineer, Network position: