The Associate Director, Tax Planning is an executive level position with lead responsibility in the Tax Department for all aspects of federal and state tax research & planning for HealthSouth Corporation, its affiliates and subsidiaries (the "Company"). This position will oversee all strategic tax initiatives - planning, research, incentive & credits, controversy, projects, state, local and foreign taxes.
This position functions as a primary point of contact for tax matters related to all Company reorganizations, mergers, acquisitions and dispositions. The position is responsible for identifying and executing tax planning opportunities for the Company and is charged with developing processes, structures and strategies to minimize tax liabilities and maximize after tax profits. This position will also oversee special tax projects and initiatives that cut across all tax disciplines within the department. As a senior member of the Tax Department management team, this position will be called upon to support other tax functions and initiatives including review of periodic and annual corporate and partnership tax return filings; review of tax calculations and disclosures prepared for financial reporting in the Company's
Forms 10-Q, 10-K, 8-K, etc.; review of tax controversy matters, including representation of the company before taxing authorities; review of non-income tax matters (if necessary), including sales, use, property and unclaimed property matters; participation in various human resources and administrative matters related to the Tax Department; other responsibilities within and outside of the Tax Department, as assigned.
The Associate Director, Tax Planning must make sure that tax projects and processes, especially research & planning projects are supervised and adequately staffed, completed, reviewed and delivered timely to the appropriate persons or jurisdiction. This position must be aware of all relevant Company processes, procedures and controls (including internal controls over financial reporting) and is responsible for ensuring that such process, procedures and controls are maintained and followed for all matters under their supervision. This position frequently manages work performed by third party providers as part of the project work undertaken. This position will support cultural diversity by promoting and maintaining an inclusive work environment and culture that is respectful and accepting of diversity.
This position reports directly to the National Director, Tax and indirectly to the Chief Tax Officer and will interact frequently with executives from other departments within the Company.
License or Certification:
- Certified Public Accountant or Law degree required.
- Other professional certifications are a plus.
Education, Training and Years of Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Law degree required.
- Graduate degree (LLM, MAc, MTx, MBA or similar professional degree) desired, but significant experience will also be considered.
- 10-15 minimum years of tax experience required, in either public accounting, corporate tax or both.
- Experience supervising others required, including increasing responsibility supervising and developing direct reports.
- Substantial experience in a corporate tax department or significant experience advising corporate and partnership tax clients in a large, international law or accounting firm is required.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, Outlook and Internet Explorer required.
- Extensive experience working with tax software applications (e.g., Thomson Workflow/FastTax, TaxStream, etc.) preferred.
Machines, Equipment Used:
- General office equipment such as telephone, copy machine, fax machine, calculator, computer.
- Good visual acuity and ability to communicate.
- Ability to lift, lower, push, pull, and retrieve objects weighing a minimum of 30 pounds. Reasonable assistance may be requested when lifting, pushing, and/or pulling are undertaken which exceeds these minimum requirements.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to speak, read, write, and communicate effectively.
- Ability to coordinate, analyze, observe, make decisions, and meet deadlines in a detail-oriented manner.
- Ability to work independently without constant supervision.
- Indoor, temperature controlled, smoke-free environment. Occasional outdoor exposure.
- Exposure or potential exposure to blood and body fluids may be required.
- Handicapped accessible.
- May work under stressful circumstances at times.
Proficiency or Productivity Standards:
- Has regular, reliable and predictable attendance and punctuality.
- Adheres to hospital/department dress code including wearing ID badge.
- May be required to work weekdays and/or weekends, evenings and or night shifts if needed to meet deadlines.
- May be required to work on religious and/or legal holidays on scheduled days/shifts.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned by supervisor