Associate Director - Research Operations - Hospital Medicine
The Division of Hospital Medicine at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (CCHMC) has multiple clinical service lines at two sites, including general hospital medicine, inpatient chronic care, surgical co-management, and adult co-management. The division has over8,000admissions to its clinical services eachyear, which accounts for about one-fourth of all patients hospitalized at CCHMC. The division consists of 48 academicfaculty, 6fellows and15 support staff. The division is dedicated to providing the highest quality of clinical care and research on common diseases that result in hospitalizations for children as well as problems encountered by hospitalized children.
The Division conducts clinical, health services, education, informatics, bioethics, patient safety, and implementation science research.TheAssociate Director of Research Operations (i.e., Research Director) will facilitate conduct of research and research-related activities in the Division of Hospital Medicine. The Research Director also is expected to participate in key institutional, regional, national, andinternational organizations to promote successful research in pediatric hospital medicine and facilitate collaborations withother divisions within the institution, region, and nation.The Research Director will join the leadership team of the Division, led by the Division Director, which consists of theAssociate Division Directors, Medical Directors, the Hospital Medicine Fellowship Director, and Business Director.
The Research Director will oversee the research mentorship of the juniorfaculty and, in conjunction with thefellowship director, oversee the mentorship for the HMfellows. The Research Director will also strengthen the research programs of seniorfaculty. For example, she/he will facilitate mentor-mentee relationship and assist in identifying and acquiring needed resources. The Research Director will also assist withrecruitment of researchfaculty andfellows to the division.
The Research Director, along with the Division Director, manages the Division's research activities in collaboration with the Division's principalinvestigators, business director, and grant specialist. These activities include planning and conducting research meetings, developing and maintaininginfrastructure to conduct clinical research studies, assuring regulatory compliance, and developing and maintaininginfrastructure to support grant submissions, research presentations, and publications. Theinfrastructure consists of personnel, equipment, supplies, and research-related funds.
The Research Director is involved in the human resource management of the study coordinators, research specialists, and research administrative staff. The Research Director in conjunction with the Division Director and Business Director prepares the annual researchbudget and monitors adherence to thebudget.The Research Director is expected to lead by example. Accordingly, she/he will direct her/his own research program and beresponsible for maintaining its exceptional national reputation and ensuring it remains productive, extramurally funded, and well managed. The Research Director will receive some on-going support for her/his research program to offset the timerequired for theotherresponsibilities of her/his position. Accordingly, the Research Director's research should align with one or more of the research themes of the division.Reporting relationships
- Reports to the Division Director of Hospital Medicine, CCHMC
- Belongs to the Leadership Team, Division of Hospital Medicine, CCHMC
- Develop research programs for junior faculty
- Assist with the development of the Division's fellows into academically productive junior faculty
- Strengthen research programs for senior faculty
- Participate in weekly Division leadership meetings
- Assist with recruitment of research faculty and staff, as well as fellowship candidates
- Organize research meetings
- Assist with annual research budget planning
- Direct his/her own research program
- PhD or MD
- Training in broad types of research methodologies such as health services research and/or improvement science and/or educational research; for MD candidates, having completed a research masters training program is preferable
- Extramurally funded research program on pediatric inpatient conditions or problems using epidemiological or health services research or implementation science
- Successful track record in mentoring faculty, preferably mentoring on NIH funded grants
- Strong track record of collaborations
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in leadership and management
Job Number: 80382