Leads R&D IT portfolio management and teams within the Research function. Shape and develop the teams to deliver complex projects and programs across the prioritized portfolio. Manage and ensure predictable delivery of projects and/or programs – driving accountability of work stream owners and enabling escalation of risks and issues that require assistance or attention. Ensure resources, either internal or external, and funding are secured through high quality business cases to meet project needs. Ensure projects are delivered at a high level of quality according to committed scope, approved budget and targeted dates. Lead various program governance meetings including routine core team meetings, as well as escalation and steering reviews. Demonstrates thought leadership with business partners to shape/influence the portfolio and to ensure delivery of the most effective solutions for the identified and prioritized business objectives. Enable and enhance cross functional interactions between Solution Delivery, Project teams, IT functional leadership areas, and multiple business units (i.e. – R&D organizations).
- Understand the Research business function’s strategy and effectively translate strategy into opportunities and requirements for technology solutions. Proactively anticipate business needs to shape demand for IT services. Develop functional roadmaps that are aligned with Research’s strategy and priority
- Engage and develop relationships with the right functional partners (e.g., Functional Steering Committees) and subject matter experts. Manage and build trust in these relationships.
- Integrate roadmaps developed by other enabling IT functions with business partners to align IT capabilities with functional demand for IT services. Advocate for partners with IT colleagues as needed/appropriate. In turn, drive awareness and adoption of IT initiatives and changes driven by all IT organizations – including IT functional portfolios and foundational organizations (I&O, CISO, DEA, PBO).
- Actively drive employee engagement in a caring and trusting environment – including providing assignments that set people up for success, delivering meaningful feedback, and recognizing accomplishments. Engage and coach people to effectively prioritize work, develop themselves personally and professionally, and ensure they have fulfilling professional experiences. Ensure that employees and contractors in their organization are up-to-date on required training.
- Confidently build and lead teams by cascading relevant information, aligning activities with IT strategy and priorities, fostering teamwork and collaboration, sharing and listening to ideas, and effectively positioning and driving teams to perform at a high level.
- Create a positive work environment by understanding people’s strengths and growth areas – both in the hiring and ongoing work assignment process – and by matching the right talent to the right professional needs and opportunities.
Minimum Experience Requirements:
- 10+ years’ experience working as an IT professional managing projects, programs and/or portfolios in the Pharma-Biotech/Life Sciences industry, with at least 5 years experience in the R&D domain, with a focus on supporting research business functions (e.g., omics, computational biology, in vivo pharmacology, data science/analytics)
- 10+ years’ experience implementing complex, cross-functional projects solutions within established software development life cycle methodologies.
- Demonstrated ability to work and influence at multiple levels within multidisciplinary and matrixed organization.
- At least 5 years people management experience, leading teams, shaping and developing IT talent.
- Experience in Agile Software IT Solutions, Software Delivery Solutions, GXP Validation, Lab Notebook, AWS, Cloud Computing and Enterprise Research.
- Technical proficiency and strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written.
Minimum Knowledge Requirements:
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, advanced degree in business or information technology desirable or a combination of degree and related experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications.