Industry: Education, Government & Non-Profit•
11 - 15 years
Posted 61 days ago
This is a key leadership position within Syracuse University's Office of Real Estate Services and Asset Management, charged with strategic stewardship of the University's portfolio of real estate interests.
This position with be responsible for refining the real estate strategy in furtherance of the goals and priorities of the University's Academic Strategic Plan and Campus Framework.
Reporting directly to the Senior Associate Vice President of Real Estate Services and Asset Management, this position will be responsible for management services associated with the enhancing value of operating assets, as well as developing strategies for creating value from the redevelopment and/or re positioning of under leveraged assets.
The successful candidate will possess strong negotiating skills, as well as an aptitude for diplomacy and constituent engagement. Project management experience in large, multi-faceted organizations, with multiple strata of oversight and governance is preferred.
Qualifications• Bachelor's degree plus at least 10 years of experience in commercial real estate development, investing, asset management, and leasing/property management.
• General understanding of business principals and financial reporting and accounting will be viewed favorably.
• Preferred candidates will have an advanced degree in a related field.
Job Specific Qualifications• Demonstrated ability to perform complex analyses and due diligence, including financial modeling, valuation, use, and development/entitlement.
• Considerable experience driving results and, where appropriate, change, in large, multi-faceted organizations.
• Prior real estate development experience in the hospitality and entertainment sectors is beneficial.
• Proficiency building consensus and driving influence over various platforms amongst parties with varying interests.
• Strong negotiation skills on complex transactions, exercised with diplomacy and thoughtful constituent engagement.
• Ability to assess, develop and articulate real estate strategies to a senior audience (including Trustees and advisers).
• Experience creating professional presentation materials for senior administration and director/trustee level audiences.
• Proficient in commercial real estate negotiations.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Responsibilities• Provide subject matter expertise and analysis regarding real estate portfolio decisions and provide guidance and counsel in development of short and long range plans.
• Provide analysis, valuation and performance measurements regarding real estate portfolio decisions. Engage in strategic planning for the development, re-positioning, and/or disposition of real estate assets and implement (or direct and/or support the implementation of) same. Creation of "out of the box" strategies and plans for the development/repositioning/disposition (as appropriate) of the University's real estate portfolio.
• Leverage existing network and cultivate new relationships with key internal and external constituents. Work with in-house counsel, as needed, in preparing documentation relating to any real estate transaction, including Letters of Intent, RFI's, RFP's, Lease Agreements, Purchase and Sale Agreements, and any other real estate related documentation. Lead cross-functional teams (including Legal, Real Estate, Accounting, Finance, Treasury, Tax and Facilities) to successfully identify, develop, and execute real estate portfolio transactions.
• Apply real estate industry expertise to keep department members abreast of industry trends, and identify opportunities to capitalize on favorable market conditions.
Assist in the development, refinement, and adherence to best practices for real estate matters. For the purpose of creating best practices, thoughtfully review existing policy and procedure, champion change (to the extent necessary to create best practice), and effectively manage implementation of new ideas.
• Utilize real property database to anticipate portfolio events (lease expirations, options, terminations, etc.) and develop appropriate responses. Prepare marketing and presentation material for both internal and external parties, including senior University administration and University Trustees.
Assist in the development of key performance indicators for the portfolio, specifically, occupancy and financial metrics at a property level and portfolio level.
Identify individual market trends and communicate the implications of these trends to the Real Estate team.
• Manage real estate transactions to include acquisitions, disposals, leases, gifts, donations, facility use agreements and related real estate activities.