Xilio Therapeutics is a development-stage biotechnology company advancing next-generation cancer immunotherapies designed to improve patient outcomes by unleashing the power of the immune system selectively at the site of the tumor. The company’s tumor-selective immunotherapies are based on its proprietary technology, which maximizes the potency of proven immuno-oncology therapies and restricts their activity to the tumor to minimize peripheral side effects. The broad applicability of these therapies across cancer types means that all patients could benefit from these potentially curative medicines.
Xilio was founded in 2016, and closed a $100.5M Series B financing from blue chip venture investors in February 2020. Xilio is headquartered in Waltham, MA.
We are looking for a highly energetic and motivated (Associate) Director, Protein Engineering to lead our protein design team. This person will apply structure modeling and structure-based design and lead our effort in the cutting-edge design and engineering of novel, efficacious and safe therapeutic proteins. The successful candidate will have wide-ranging responsibilities including program leadership and tremendous opportunities within a dynamic, enthusiastic, highly interdisciplinary and collaborative team.
The position will be based in Waltham, Massachusetts, and reports to the Vice President, Biologics.
- Apply structure-based and rational protein engineering principles to design best in class Biologics with optimal therapeutic index including high efficacy, developability, and safety.
- Lead the protein design team in protein engineering areas including structure analysis, determination and modeling, sequence-based liability analysis, mutant and fusion protein design.
- Understand biology and biochemistry of the mechanism of interest in order to apply it in the design and evaluation of the Biologics molecules for the targeted properties.
- Collaborate with Protein Sciences and Analytical team for protein production and characterization, and re-engineering in a dynamic setting.
- Work with CROs, collaborators and partners to continue development of the protein engineering platform.
- Lead program teams in Research and support the transition to preclinical development.
- Ph. D. in Biochemistry or a relevant scientific discipline, with 8+ years of experience with therapeutic protein design and engineering.
- Extensive experience in protein structure analysis, structure-function studies, and protein design, demonstrated by publications and patents.
- A track record of innovation and scientific rigor, strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills, and ability to contribute constructively to discussions
- Experience with multimeric proteins and fusion proteins is desired
- Expertise in structural biology of cytokines would be a plus
- Experience with Developability assessment and mitigation is a plus
- Goal oriented, organized, capable of prioritizing and working on multiple projects, and able to execute to timelines that meet company goals
- Work well in a cross functional team environment, both independently as well as be willing to help others
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Driven by a desire to create the next generation of immunotherapy-based cancer therapeutics and the vision to offer cancer patients efficacious and tolerable new therapies that extend and improve their lives.