The Associate Director of Prospect Management is responsible for executing and enhancing the university's prospect and moves management program, working closely with the university's development teams to optimize fundraising outcomes with data-driven decision-making at all stages of the prospect cycle. The ideal candidate will have experience executing moves management processes, partnering with prospect managers to develop prospect and portfolio strategies, and data analysis.
The Associate Director should be a collegial strategic partner and an effective communicator with colleagues at all levels, as well as data savvy and comfortable with quantitative methods and analytics. Reporting to the Director, Prospect Development, the Associate Director will be a critical member of the team at a transformative moment for our energetic, entrepreneurial advancement division.
There are three main responsibilities for this position:
- Moves management: The Associate Director will oversee the day-to-day operations of prospect management, including oversight of prospect management data for reporting and analysis. The Associate Director will be a key front-facing role, conducting regular portfolio optimization and prospect strategy meetings with development officers. The Associate Director must be adept at drawing insights from data and translating them into actionable strategy, as well as "making the case" for data-driven decisions related to fundraising and donor portfolios.
- Portfolio and pipeline analytics: In partnership with the Reporting and Analytics team, the Associate Director will develop metrics to track pipeline activity, analyze and report on results, and make recommendations for continued improvement.
- Special projects: The Associate Director will serve as a subject matter expert on prospect management functionality in the implementation and optimization of Ellucian CRM Advance. This will include developing and sometimes training end users on best practices related to prospect management, as well as participating in the development of system features to better track, segment, and analyze prospects.
American University donors inspire excellence at American University by supporting bright students, high-caliber faculty, and significant research. Contributions of all kinds and of all amounts provide essential resources for our students and faculty to do groundbreaking work that makes a positive impact. For more information about American University fundraising please visit https://www.american.edu/giving/.
- The Associate Director, Prospect Management reports to the Director of Prospect Development and partners with various development and alumni relations colleagues to build and monitor the university's major gift pipeline
- Work may be required evenings, weekends, and during established University events such as the annual President's Circle Dinner and All-American Weekend and/or to meet deadlines
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Sr Coordinator/Sr Analyst B
- Commensurate with experience
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 3 years of experience in prospect management, fundraising or business analytics, major gift solicitation, or related experience
- Experience with and understanding of relational databases
- Experience with and understanding of prospect development best practices, including proficiency with APRA basic and advanced skill sets
- Experience interpreting and analyzing data, using insights to achieve desired outcomes, and familiarity with quantitative methods
- Demonstrated ability to exercise reasoned and independent judgment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated experience successfully working with persons from diverse backgrounds, and comfort working with senior staff, fundraisers, and vendors
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, and Access
- Ability to use discretion when working with highly confidential information and familiarity with donor-centric principles and best practices, including the APRA Code of Ethics
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a deadline-oriented environment
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience in higher education advancement
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- A writing sample will be required with all applications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check