The Associate Director of Project Management in the GPPM organization is accountable for the leadership of cross-functional drug development teams to achieve key strategic objectives and deliver development, regulatory, and commercial breakthroughs.
The GPPM group in AstraZeneca currently has an opening for an Associate Director-level role supporting the Late Stage Oncology team on the Genitourinary, Women's Cancer, & Tumor Agnostic Global Product Team (GU/WC/TA GPT).
Program Strategic Alignment
- Provides program management leadership by active input into the project strategy & vision, ensuring alignment of the project strategy with operational delivery.
- May lead the drug project strategy as assigned by PM Head or project leader
- Ensures appropriate linkages between project strategy and key internal processes (TA strategy, TA prioritization, corporate scorecard)
Team Leadership and Delivery
- Creates a shared sense of purpose, inspires and energizes others
- Coaches project teams towards successful issue resolution and decision making and focuses the team on the right activities at the right time, can handle the majority of challenging project situations
- Serves as a core team member and drives efficient operation of the early and/or late stage project teams including overall plans, priorities, budget and risk management
Governance and Investment Decisions
- Manages team towards optimized governance decisions - e.g. Phase IDs, project revisions
- Provides guidance to both the team and senior management / governance bodies that allows efficient (timely and informed) decision making
- Leverages broad influential network and ensures engagement at all levels prior to key decisions
Planning, Monitoring and Delivery
- Ensures that overall team results, budgets, schedules, and performance standards are realistically set, governance approved and attained, and that the project optimally fulfils all business reporting requirements.
- Maintains plans of the highest data quality, accountable for all Project Management deliverables associated with the project team(s) covered
- Leads by example in learning, innovation, cross-functional collaboration and conflict resolution; seeks opportunities to change paradigm and removes barriers within and outside the team.
- Champions company best practices and adoption of new project management practices.
- Uses business knowledge to drive cross-project learning, champion and embed better ways of working across the enterprise.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree in a scientific subject, Master degree or higher preferred
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in project management, preferably within the Pharmaceutical or Biotech industry
- Experienced project manager with successful record of delivering complex/ high business impact drug development projects within agreed time, quality and cost.
- Ability to motivate, lead and inspire high performing teams
- Experienced knowledge of project management tools and processes.
- Experience ensuring high quality data in enterprise systems
- Track record of effective Senior Stakeholder management, demonstrating strong ability to influence strategically
- Relevant therapeutic area expertise
- Advanced degree in a scientific discipline and / or MBA
- Project Management (PMP) Certification.