This position provides leadership to the Process Automation team in the IT Department engaged in the development and maintenance of the Automation Systems used in the production of drug products. The Associate Director ensures that the Process Automation team is adequately staffed with properly trained, knowledgeable employees who perform their duties according to approved Manufacturing and IT directions, Standard Operating Procedures, Alkermes guidelines for safety and environmental compliance, as well as current European and US Good Manufacturing Practices. The position collaborates with global business and IT colleagues to ensure long-term plans are established and implemented to ensure a robust and sustainable Process Automation program that is aligned with the strategic goals of the company.
- Set direction for the design, implementation and support for Plant-Wide Process Automation (PA) and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) solutions within the Wilmington facility used to support pharmaceutical development and manufacturing.
- Interpret business requirements, anticipate opportunities and influence cross-functional decisions. Create and align strategic direction for Process Automation both on site and globally where practical.
- Leads, directs and motivates the Process Automation Team in the IT Department, ensuring that the structure, skills and competencies required adapt with business needs. Creates and maintains an environment where team members are clear on expectations, developed to reach higher potential, given the right tools and support, feel empowered for delivery and held accountable.
- Align and prioritize IT Process Automation projects, resources and support activities with other site organizations and projects including Engineering, Maintenance, Operations, Quality Assurance, Validation, and QA Ops.
- Ensure procedures, processes and SOP’s are established and maintained for the design, development, validation and support of solutions. Develop and maintain lean and efficient ways of working, policies/guidelines and procedures for the team ensuring consistency and quality.
- Ensure that the systems and solutions supported are fit for purpose and seek opportunities to improve.
- Ensure solutions are compliant with regulatory requirements.
- Drive innovation by engaging ideas from the industry, academia and business peers. Share knowledge with Business and IT colleagues to develop long-term solutions
- Fosters collaborative relationships within and across groups and uses effective influencing and negotiation skills with senior level management and key stakeholders.
- Lead by example and encourage followership. Promote continuous improvement and act as a change agent to drive business improvements.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Automation or other related field or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years process automation and/or engineeringexperience including extensive knowledge and expertise in project/program management, Process Automation applications and lifecycle management.
- 5+ year Management experience.
- Previous experience in the biotechnology / pharmaceutical industries and GXP Computerised Systems
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Effective risk analysis and stakeholder facilitation to reach timely decisions.
- Strong conflict management and prioritization skills.