Provides guidance to clinical laboratory and exercises oversight of the Accessioning function. Works closely with senior management and directs team to ensure departmental and company goals are routinely met.
- Supervise the daily activity of accessioning managers, supervisors and staff to ensure all samples are accessioned same-day with extremely high accuracy according to SOPs and other requirements
- Optimize cross-site scheduling according to the operational needs of the laboratory.
- Build and manage metrics to provide feedback and accountability to staff. Define KPIs and standardize departmental methodologies
- Maintain documentation for QA, compliance, management, regulatory bodies and clients as well as laboratory operations
- Act as a cross-functional resource for inter-disciplinary teams to streamline operations and efficiency while growing business and exceeding client expectations
- Develop and oversee training and team building of new and existing staff on a continuous basis
- Create and manage departmental incentive programs
- Support the recruitment, hiring and development of effective teams with succession planning
- Administer departmental budgets
- Liaise with all departments in the laboratory and management to ensure accuracy and swift corrective actions as needed based on client, test, market dynamics and specimen requirements
- Oversee daily accessioning operations including, but not limited to:
- Specimen receipt and triage
- Order entry and documentation retention
- Quality check of all information input into the LIS/LIMS system
- Referral testing and specimen send-outs
- Competency, safety and retraining of staff
- Delivery of daily, weekly, monthly & quarterly operational metrics
- Departmental inventory and supply orders
- Provide thought leadership and recommendations for improving workflows, team structures and system configurations
- Responsible for managing mission critical, complex projects to deliver results within the authorized budgets and approved timelines
- Identify and transparently communicate issues and solutions both within the accessioning department and to leadership
- Forecast trends to meet changing requirements
- Ensure team meets all regulatory requirements set forth by CLIA, CAP, NYSDOH, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, BS in Biology or other healthcare field preferred, Master’s Degree a plus.
- At least five years’ experience working in a laboratory or supporting lab operations required
- At least three years of people management required, preferably managing a team of 10 or more in an operational function (Accessioning function strongly preferred)
- Experience in clinical genetic testing strongly preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Superior computer skills required, comfortable with new software tools and integration, advanced in Microsoft Office (Excel)
- Data driven
- Proven knowledge of lean management
- Expert people manager, able to motivate a large team of 20 plus people on various levels. Demonstrated experience building and managing a high performing group of engaged and motivated employees
- Experience in root cause analysis, talented strategic manager
- Exceptional in investigating, analyzing, recommending, implementing and monitoring workflow changes as needed.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to effectively work with all stakeholders, internal and external, including clients, sales, software engineers, management, lab directors and staff both within and outside of accessioning
- Proven leadership skills
- Possess working understanding of fundamentals of Molecular Biology.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Word processing and data management skills.
- Independent self-starter comfortable in working in teams at all levels
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Duties typically performed in an office setting and laboratory environment
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time
- Duties may require working weekends
- Travel: Less than 10 percent