The Associate Director, Physical Security will play a key role in establishing BioMarin’s new global corporate security function, which will oversee programs to safeguard the company’s critical assets—our people, property, and product — worldwide. This position will report directly to the Global Security Director and will support in the development and implementation of BioMarin’s global security strategy and associated risk management programs.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key internal stakeholders, including management, other corporate groups and teams, business lines and regions to build consensus and leverage cross functional resources to mitigate risks to the corporation.
- Directly support the Global Security Director and lead the identification, assessment and mitigation of physical securityrisks to the organization; develop and implement an enterprise-wide physical security framework; develop and implement security incident response plans and protocols; measure performance and drive continuous improvement of the physical security program
- Develop, implement and maintain the company’s policies, standards, guidelines, processes, procedures and plans that will serve to govern and manage physical security for BioMarin globally. These may include: SecurityRisk/Vulnerability Assessments, Perimeter Security, Lighting and Security Signage, CCTV and Video Management System/Analytics, Access Control Systems, Visitor Management Systems, Intrusion Detection Alarms and Guard Force Operations.
- Coordinate with relevant stakeholders and staff to enforce compliance with the developed policies and standards to help ensure consistent application of security practices across the organization.
Security Risk Assessments
- Develop and implement a SecurityRisk Assessment methodology, tools and schedule in conjunction with relevant stakeholders.
- Manage, conduct and/or direct routine securityrisk assessments for all BioMarin properties, including those in Northern California. Leverage stakeholder relationships to influence successful mitigation of resulting physical securityrisks.
Physical Security Technology Management
- Review new and/or existing building plans for security device/system placement and operability. Review and recommend necessary improvements for all security-related systems to ensure adequate protection commensurate with overall goals of the physical security program.
- Orchestrate the specification, selection and procurement of all security-related devices/systems within the physical securitytechnology space.
- Drive life-cycle management process to replace existing standalone systems with enterprise, networked solutions to increase corporate efficiencies and reduce costs.
- Develop, implement, enforce, and update physical security-related policies, standards and procedures.
- Research and deploy state-of-the-art technology solutions and innovative security management techniques, tools and services to facilitate the effectiveness of the corporate program.
- Help determine and manage the corporate securitybudget and associated resources, including staff. Specifically, in coordination with the Global Security Director, maintain the budget and associated resources, including contracts and vendor relationships, for assigned core corporate security programs, e.g. guard force management, capital expenditures/lifecycle management of securitytechnologies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of security best practice, as developed through a minimum of eight to ten years of progressive experience within the security industry, including subject matter expertise for technical, physical and electronic protection systems.
- High-level critical thinking and analytical skills, management experience and exceptional relationship management competencies to understand the impact and sensitivity of security issues.
- An advanced and functional understanding of current and emerging security industry standards, technologies and systems.
- Ability to develop and project-manage full life-cycle implementations for core physical security programs, including creation of policies, standards, guidelines, processes, procedures, plans and tactical deployment of securitytechnologies.
- Ability to effectively communicate within all levels of the organization on security initiatives, projects, decisions and information.
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally with other BioMarin groups, teams and stakeholders to implement security programs and practices in the organization. Willingness to adapt to the company’s organizational culture, pace of operations and requirements.
- Ability and willingness to be on call 24/7 to respond to company-related security emergencies.
- Corporate securityexperience in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and/or medical device industry.
- Demonstrated experience and exposure in the domestic and international security arena dealing with and managing security-related issues in a similarly sized private sector corporation.
- Demonstrated ability to manage an expense budget and security tools, services and resources.
- Direct experience in a management role, together with demonstrated interaction with senior organizational leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) is required. Professional certifications (e.g. PSP, CPP) in an area relevant to this position and/or an advanced degree are preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with key internal stakeholders, including executive management, other corporate groups and teams, business lines and regions. Internal stakeholders include, but are not limited to, Manufacturing, DevSci, Facilities, EHS&S, HR, Legal, and Compliance functions.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and maintain effective liaison relationship with relevant external entities, such as government and law enforcement agencies (at both federal and local levels), industry bodies, regulatory agencies and private sector counterparts.
- Demonstrated ability to lift up to 50 pounds regularly, move safely over uneven terrain or in confined spaces, and willingness to work during extreme weather.
- Demonstrated ability to respond quickly to sounds, and see/respond to dangerous situations.