Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
The Associate Director of Digital Accessibility is an exciting opportunity to help set the direction for ongoing digital accessibility efforts.
Reporting to the Director of User Experience & Digital Strategy, the Associate Director will bring passion and dedication to creating a world-class accessible online experience at Yale. We are looking for an experienced manager to build a team at Yale to provide accessibility remediation, consultation, training and support. We seek an accessibility leader with a preference for universal design, who believes that we must give access to all users, regardless of their chosen technology for accessing our websites.
The Associate Director of Digital Accessibility will run a team supporting the Yale community in meeting the WCAG 2.0 Level AA standards. As a leader in web accessibility, this role will bring strategic thinking on accessibility compliance in higher education, and knowledge on creating accessible user interfaces across the entire software development lifecycle. The Associate Director will partner with Procurement and those purchasing software to ensure vendors are held to strong accessibility standards. The Digital Accessibility team will also work with the wider Yale community of website owners in maintaining accessible websites within CMS environments such as Drupal and Wordpress, and vendor platforms such as Slate and OrgSync.
As an opportunity to build a team providing a new set of services at Yale, this role requires a client-focused individual with a passion for management and able to develop a program from the ground up. A key responsibility will be hiring a team of accessibility engineers and specialists to handle remediation, training, consultation, quality assurance and other forms of support. While building an effective accessibility team, this role will craft an operational model with processes that work in Yale’s highly distributed environment. The Associate Director will provide oversight, technical leadership, expert guidance, and vision leading to an effective accessibility program at Yale.
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor's Degree in a relevant technical field and six years of related technical experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of digital accessibility and ability to guide both user interface designers and developers in accessibility best-practices, and remediating inaccessible interfaces.
- Proven ability to be a skilled manager who can hire, lead and nurture a team of accessibility professionals, as well as work directly with the Yale community to increase accessibility awareness.
- Demonstrate ability as an operational thinker who can craft a service model which meets the needs of wide variety of members of the Yale community, leveraging familiarity with delivering services in the higher ed environment.
- Commitment to remaining up-to-date with emerging technologies and solutions for online accessibility, including knowledge of disability law related to IT accessibility (as applies to higher education), and knowledge of state and national IT accessibility resources.
- Excellent oral and written communication, presentation and facilitation skills. Ability to build consensus and devise training programs which elevate Yale’s shared commitment to accessibility.
- Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and six - ten years of related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Six - ten years of digital accessibility experience.
Application: and immediate consideration, pleaseapply online at . Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.