The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) develops and maintains professional relationships with external healthcare practitioners to provide comprehensive medical and scientific support for Insmed assigned therapeutic areas.
Engages appropriately in scientific exchanges around product information, disease education, and research ideas/activities with physicians and ancillary healthcare professionals regarding current and future therapies in development or commercialized by Insmed.
Works closely with Insmed personnel to ensure adequate training, access to educational resources and alignment between Insmed’s Medical Affairs plans and the unmet needs of the patients and healthcare professionals.
The MSL is responsible for maintaining annual expenses within assigned budget parameters, as well as being accountable for the accurate and timely documentation of all activities.
This position will be based out of either New York or New Jersey and will report to a Regional Director, U.S. Medical Affairs.
- Identify thought leaders, consultants, investigators and healthcare professionals (HCP) in assigned areas of therapeutic interest, and develop and maintain professional relationships with them to ensure timely, effective and appropriate communication of current and emerging medical and scientific information on Insmed products support of appropriate prescribing and improved patient care and outcomes.
- Present data on Insmed products to HCPs including physicians, academic institutions, researchers, and allied health care professionals, consistent with all Insmed policies and procedures.
- Execute Advisory Board and other scientific forums to bring back critical customer insights and feedback.
- Conduct scientific exchanges related to Insmed’s products at Centers of Excellence and Academic Medical Centers. Ensure that healthcare organizations have the latest information on Insmed products resulting in appropriate prescribing, and improved patient care and outcomes.
- Field therapeutic area expert demonstrating high scientific knowledge and competency of Insmed therapeutic disease states, products and competitor data. Serve as a local medical and scientific resource to Insmed for product planning, clinical insights and intelligence. Capture, synthesize and deliver HCP derived scientific insights to Insmed.
- Support research and development program as requested by R&D, Clinical Operations, and Medical Affairs Departments.
- Provide medical and scientific support to payers, commercial managed markets and related health care organizations to facilitate access to Insmed’s medications for appropriate patients. Demonstrate strong competency in medical and scientific exchange to healthcare organizations.
- Deliver and execute effective product and disease-state training and mentoring to internal Insmed colleagues
- Full support and execution of Medical Affairs, Clinical special projects, programs and initiatives.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience as MSL is required.
- Other Pharmaceutical experience – Medical Information, Medical Strategy, Clinical management/trialexperience and 2 years clinical or research experience (non-pharma) is preferred.
- An advanced degree in the life sciences field (Pharm D, PhD, RN, MD and NP/PA) or relevant field medical experience is also required.
- An excellent command of the English language, effective presentation skills and advanced proficiency in interpersonal skills (listening, probing, persuasiveness, negotiation) are essential for engaging successfully and productively with HCPs, external customers, field colleagues, and internal stakeholders
- Conflict resolution and problem-solving skills are required.
- Knowledge of the PhRMA code of conduct, the Sunshine Act, HIPAA regulations, promotional regulations and all other laws and regulations that are applicable to the MSL role.
- An uncompromising ethical standard and level of conduct are essential.
- Ability to quickly understand and dialogue on subjects that are at the interface between medicine and policy which are relevant to Insmed’s areas of interest (disease condition, patient reported outcomes, competitive pipelines and lifecycle plans, medical and pharmacy benefits, quality programs, etc.) is needed.
- Committed to self-improvement is essential.
- Excels at building relationships, networking with others and working cross-functionally.
- Health outcomes, pharmacoeconomics, population-based health management experiencedesired.
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding of the US Healthcare system and healthcare policy.
- Position requires up to 80% travel, some of which will be overnight in nature