Esperion is a purpose driven company with a singular focus on lipid management for everyone. Our innovative team of lipid management experts is committed to leveraging its understanding of cholesterol biosynthesis to develop innovative therapies for the treatment of patients with elevated low-density lipoprotein (LDL-C). At Esperion we are passionately committed to bringing complementary therapies to the hypercholesterolemia space that address unmet patient needs in a way that is “patient-friendly, physician-friendly and payer-friendly.”
Esperion’s corporate headquarters are located in Ann Arbor, MI. The Company offers a competitive salary including a performance-based bonus program and stock-based compensation, a comprehensive benefits package including a 401(k) matching plan and health insurance, and paid time off and holidays.
Position Title: Associate Director, Medical Communications
This position will report to the Head of Medical Communications and will be responsible for supporting strategic operational initiatives of Medical Communication Function. The Associate Director, Medical Communications will provide support for the development and execution of the medical and scientific communications strategy and publication plan and support operational execution of independent medical education (IME) and investigator- initiated studies (IIS) programs. This role will be focused on planning, managing, and preparing internal and external communications of key scientific and clinical data as well as serving as the tactical lead for the IME and IIS programs. This role will work collaboratively with other departments within Medical Affairs and offer support in the area of Medical Operations as well as Health Economics Outcomes Research (HEOR) project support (i.e. content development, management and updates; support providing timely, accurate, comprehensive responses to unsolicited requests for medical information; support planning and preparation for medical congresses; etc.).
Preferred Location: Remote – US
Essential Duties and Responsibilities*
- Assist with developing scientific content that empowers clinical decision-making through the communication of high-quality, timely, scientifically-balanced, and evidence-based information for healthcare professionals, patients, and payers.
- Support the development of a comprehensive strategic publication plan and assist with the tactical execution.
- Support the planning and production of medical communications deliverables including abstracts, posters, manuscripts and slide decks.
- When applicable, work with external authors, investigators and thought leaders on abstracts, posters, oral presentations, manuscripts, review articles and slide decks.
- Assist in the development of all content needed for medical information and medical communications, including liaising with the internal subject matter experts when required and providing direction and guidance to third-party vendors.
- Assist with coordinating internal and external review and approval of medical communication (and as needed, medical information) materials in accordance with Esperion SOPs.
- Support the operational execution of independent medical education (IME) and investigator- initiated studies (IIS) programs; including scheduling and running cross-functional meetings, distributing meeting minutes, and coordinating the execution and tracking of contracts.
- Provide support for planning and preparation for medical congresses, including staff medical information booths at various medical congresses, when applicable.
- Assist in strategic planning and implementation of strategic solutions related to medical communications and the larger medical affairs organization.
- Provide cross-functional support across medical affairs functions as applicable (to include Medical Operations and Health Economics Outcomes Research HEOR project support).
- Builds and maintain strong working knowledge of cardiometabolic conditions, such as hypercholesterolemia and of the competitive therapies in the market.
*additional duties and responsibilities as assigned
Qualifications (Education & Experience)
- PhD, MD, PharmD or other applicable advanced degree, preferred.
- More than 2+ years of experience in pharmaceutical industry in publications, medical or scientific communications or another related medical affairs function.
- Prior medical/scientific communication experience required.
- Must be able to adapt, organize, prioritize, and work effectively on multifunctional teams in a fast paced and constantly changing environment.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and able to work independently as well as within cross-functional teams.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, think critically, and adhere to deadlines.
- Demonstrated customer facing skills and capability to collaborate with Key Opinion Leaders on publications and medical education initiatives in a credible manner.
- Excellent working knowledge of medical communications activities and guidelines.
- Thorough knowledge of drug development, registration and marketing processes.
- Strong cardiovascular/lipid therapeutic knowledge preferred.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentations skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Experience providing direction to and/or managing external vendors.
- Attention to detail and ability to work independently and with a team and provide a link between all medical content owners.
- Ability to travel - approximately 10-20% of the time.