Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Associate Director, Medical & Scientific Communications leads the strategic development and execution of the medical and scientific communications strategy and publication plan. This role will lead initiatives to identify and address the unmet scientific and medical gaps in the published literature (publications, oral/poster presentations and slide decks) done in strong collaboration with authors, investigators, Key Opinion Leaders, and internal stakeholders.
This position will lead the planning, execution and support of Medical Communication strategy to include materials, tools, resources and key scientific messaging to external stakeholders and the medical, scientific, and other professional communities. The Associate Director, Medical & Scientific Communications reports to the Director of Medical Affairs Operations and the position is located in Madison, Wisconsin. Direct reports include the leaders of Medical Education and Evidence Generation & Publication.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and oversees the implementation of the medical and scientific publications and communications strategy and tactical plan. Ensures the timely dissemination of scientific data to internal and external audiences including a diverse healthcare professional audience, maximizing the communication of the latest data and the unmet medical need related to existing and pipeline products in development.
- Interfaces with medical experts to define literature gaps in the medical community and to develop scientific contents for publications.
- Leads the strategy and development of publications.
- Leads Medical Education and slide deck development of Exact Sciences scientific data and medical education material. Ensures deliverables are in alignment with Brand Strategic Plan and cross-functional development programs, as well as timely and appropriate dissemination of study results and disease information through: Manuscripts, White papers, Congress abstracts, oral presentations and posters, and Educational slide decks – disease state and/or product specific.
- Medical (non-promotional) materials and resources designed for Field Medical teams.
- Ensures the publication development process and all materials produced are in compliance with current relevant guidelines including, but not limited to, the ICMJE, PhRMA, and GPP3. Develops and maintains relevant SOPs and guidance documents.
- Serves as a conduit for clinical insights and competitive intelligence through interface in the external medical community and internal stakeholders.
- Develops, implements and support publication development, review and approval processes.
- Supports Medical Affairs activities in execution of submission, review and approval of Medical materials, tools and resources through the Medical Review Process.
- Serves as the Chair, Exact Sciences Publications Planning Committee.
- Maintains knowledge base of current medical and scientific evidence.
- Demonstrates the ability to organize and prioritize assigned workload and employ efficient time management strategies when performing medical information activities.
- Conducts business in accordance with Exact Sciences’ values.
- Completes all assigned trainings and professional development requirement.
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in a scientific discipline.
- Expert knowledge of relevant publication guidelines including, but not limited to International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE), Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) guidelines; and the Good Publication Practice (GPP3.).
- Certified Medical Publication Professional (CMPP) credentialed.
- Minimum 8 years experience demonstrated success in design and implementation of Medical and Scientific Publications Strategies including oversight to formal needs assessment and other relevant activities.
- 2 years of leadership experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in understanding and the application of scientific/clinical data to external dissemination to healthcare professionals, medical community and key stakeholders.
- Experience in Oncology, Gastroenterology areas preferred; prior launch experience a plus.
- Medical writing experience preferred.
- Experience in managing direct reports and leading teams.
- Must have excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail, clarity, accuracy and conciseness.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Demonstrated outstanding collaborative and cross-functional approach to delivering functional results.
- Up to 20% travel.
- Ability to lift and move up to 40 pounds on an occasional basis.
- Ability to use computers and telephone daily in an interactive manner for extended periods of time and up to 8 hours a day.
- Constant walking or motion to communicate work and interact with co-workers.