Job ID R-302229
Job Description Summary
Reporting directly to the Director of Architecture & Business Process, the Associate Director, Master Data is responsible and accountable for the oversight and direction of the master data organization for EMI Operations and BD Biosciences reagents plants. The incumbent will work collaboratively with EMI Operations Leadership to facilitate the implementation of the annual strategic plans, goals and objectives. The MDO leader contributes to the development of strategy and provides significant input into key business decisions and resource planning, as Master Data is an important element to the success of design changes, new product introduction, acquisitions/divestitures, etc.
The MDO Leader may serve on Leadership Teams at the Country or Plant level and accomplishes tasks through the coaching and supervision of highly experienced professional specialists or managers, receiving little to no instruction on their own routine work and only general instructions on new assignments. The incumbent demonstrates a specific and advanced set of skills and knowledge in ECC6.0 Master Data, as well as Project Management. They are often regarded as a thought leader in aspects relating to Master Data and the governance of those areas. The MDO leader is accountable for the achievement of key operational goals and, at times, takes an active role in leading projects and programs across business units and regions.
Provides leadership to managers and may also manage first-line supervisors and professional staff. Has in-depth functional expertise and broad business knowledge. Develops financial and operational objectives and applies expertise to achieve those objectives. The incumbent creates and assists in the development, alignment and implementation of strategic functional plans in support of the unit/segment business plan in a manner consistent with BD’s operational best practices. Decisions and recommendations are made in the face of uncertain and dynamic conditions, where errors in judgment may seriously impact customer or supplier relationships, result in substantial loss of scheduled production, deterioration of product/service quality, or seriously affect the financial position of the business units.
The MDO leader is part of a high performing Operations leadership team that is expected to understand, contribute and lead the broader function. Each member of the team is expected to problem solve and manage the business beyond traditional functional roles. To this end, the incumbent needs to understand customer needs, both internal and external, and craft sustainable business solutions that can contribute to both top and bottom line growth. The incumbent will work in a highly matrixed organization with responsibility to drive business performance across multiple sites, business units, and regions. The incumbent will interface with functional leaders across business units and regions to align strategic plans and ensure positive business outcomes.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develops and implements strategies and processes related to master data coordination and governance.
- Responsible for creating and managing an integrated cross-site, cross-business Master Data Organization focused on superior technical and customer service. Will identify and evaluate major functional problems, as well as establishing and delegating operational objectives and assignments.
- Ensures the integrity of the SAP ECC system and works with the Business Process Integrators and project teams on issue resolution.
- Leads cross-functional project teams in support of key operational objectives. Establishes milestones and monitors adherence to project master plans and schedules. Determines resources and skills necessary to implement assigned programs. Circulates resources, schedule and cost requirements, and design specifications to senior management and participating departments and obtains management approvals.
- Actively manages the annual budgeting process for their area of responsibility, including monitoring and meeting budget expectations throughout the year.
- Actively participates in the Master Data Council, working closely with Master Data Stewards to ensure consistency in master data related initiatives across EMI Operations.
- Actively participates in the Material Master Business Council and Enterprise Data Governance Council, working closely with peers from other business units to govern and improve Master Data processes.
- Conducts and coordinates, when appropriate, training of other associates in required techniques, operation of equipment, software and other relevant group or department procedures. Provides training to associates for new business solutions, and training on proper completion of documentation. Participates in assigned cross-training or off-site training as required. Ensures Business Analysts have the appropriate security access within ECC6.0.
- Responsible for the development, maintenance and communication of metrics, workflow tools and reports to ensure accuracy of master data, and support continuous improvement.
- May participate in the development and initiation of business strategies for the SAP team to meet the goals and objectives of the corporation including staffing, equipment and space requirements.
- Routinely identifies and investigates continuous improvement processes and tools in order to drive efficiency and productivity within the Master Data Organization.
- Assigns, monitors, and manages staff workload to ensure that all resources have meaningful, challenging, and rewarding assignments, are fully utilized, and team productivity is optimized.
- Carries out responsibilities such as hiring, job assignments, termination, promotions, salary actions, and processes performance reviews and development plans on a timely basis.
- Monitors department safety goals and objectives as defined by the Environmental, Health & Safety Department (EH&S). Participates in EH&S programs as needed. Drives the need for ergonomic work conditions, solutions and responsibility down through their organization.
- Takes a leadership role in creating an environment that encourages the engagement and commitment of everyone in the organization aligned to satisfying customer needs and achieving business objectives. Coordinates with all functional leaders to facilitate communication and teamwork. Ensures cross-functional, cross-business, and cross-region alignment with established business goals.
- Identifies needed change and supports change management initiatives as rolled out organizationally to support business and company strategies.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
- Travel may be required up to 20% of the time.
- Requires BS or BA with a concentration in either a Business or Technical discipline. Masters in a related field or MBA are preferred.
- 10+ years’ progressive business experience preferably within the medical device, pharmaceutical, or life sciences industries
- 5+ years’ experience using SAP platforms
- Demonstrated to be knowledgeable in all applicable Master Data Business Analyst techniques, operation of relevant software packages and system tools associated with the Quality and Production environment of ECC6.0
- Experience in SAP design and implementation
- Strong knowledge of SAPreporting functionality and ability to extract a wide variety of data reports
- Effective skills in the areas of counseling/coaching/influencing, conflict management and interpersonal/verbal/written communications
- Track record of developing direct reports through the use of talent management tools and processes
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills including business and financial analyses
- Demonstrated strength in interpersonal relations and collaboration to effectively work across functions, regions and business units
- Strong project management skills, inclusive of effective meeting facilitation and presentation skills, with a track record of successful execution
- Comfortable and proficient with operating in a highly matrixed environment
- Knowledge of structured documentation and change control systems, tools for process improvement, Quality System Regulations, Global Product Development Systems, GMP & FDA regulatory requirements (as applicable) and ISO 9000 guidelines
- Knowledge and experience with product development and product launch processes, including taking a product from concept to commercialization
- Knowledge of continuous improvement tools and processes (i.e. Lean, Kaizen)
- Specific industry experience in the life sciences industry
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status