ElevateBio is seeking IT Data Architect to develop, design and support organization’s Artificial Intelligence and Data Science platform, strategy, processes, and systems from ground zero. Our company is building AI – enabled solutions across our core offering areas in cell and gene therapy R&D and Manufacturing. We are looking for a technical leader who can drive the design and development of complex data systems and data engineering processes. This individual will be responsible for partnering across all scope of solutions, establish KPIs, a mindset of continuous improvement, performance in accordance with industry standards and cost effectiveness of the AI solutions. In addition, this individual will partner with cross-functional leaders to innovate on a regular basis while providing direction, support, leadership, and transforming AI-specific technology requirements into fit for purpose business solutions.
The Associate Director – IT Data Architect will provide sound operational, technical and process leadership as ElevateBio seeks to grow its presence across the globe. We are seeking an individual with an established record of contributions with advanced information technology, leadership, and artificial intelligence skills leading to improved technology roadmap, heightened process efficiency and enhanced internal controls. In addition, the role requires a hands-on, can-do attitude, the ability to juggle technology requirements with demands of a growing organization, and network with broader IT community outside the organization.
This position will have a broad range of responsibilities, including cross-functional partnership with IT team members to ensure AI projects are on-track. The role includes following key responsibilities:
- Information Technology Development, Delivery and Support across THREE key areas
- Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, and Statistical Computing
- Computational Biology and Translational Science
- IT Requirement Analysis, Business Intelligence, and Cloud
- Define and execute strategy on building data storage infrastructure, data pipelines, data warehouses, data lakes, data APIs and self-service tooling for diverse types of data (structured and unstructured), and diverse workloads/dataflows (transactional, analytics, ML pipelines, research data science)
- Lead architect responsible for designing and implementing the overall AI and Machine Learning data solution architecture, including data management, model development, computational tools, and model deployment
- The role requires a wealth of both process and technical knowledge about security, storage, data management and network service delivery
- Identify strategic data requirements of the enterprise, how data is stored, and assess the enterprise’s internal and external data and design blueprint to manage the available data
- Create inventory of enterprise’s data, store data in easily accessible format, design and develop complex database management systems and separate public data from private ones
- Analyze structural requirements for new software and applications, Design conceptual and logical data models and flowcharts
- Improve system performance by conducting tests, troubleshooting and integrating new elements
- Communicate the practical implications of system selection and implementation, architectural decisions, issues and plans to cross-functional leaders
- Collaborate with cross-functional leaders to create data models in line with the organizations need, research to collate new data and update the company’s database from time to time
- Create back up plan to cater for the data needs of the company in times of emergency or cyber attack
- Meld existing data architecture with new ones as technology emerges, learn latest techniques for data modeling and management, and ensure the protection of data from unauthorized persons
- Oversight, creation and enforcement of IT policies as per GMP guidelines. Responsible for compliance with IT regulations involving privacy, security and controls (e.g., DFARS, GDPR, SOX).
- This individual will strive to implement highest Quality Standards (CMMi), adhere to GXP and non-GXP guidelines, deliver projects as per selected methodologies (SDLC, AGILE), and partner with local and global IT consulting firms to develop efficient Information Systems.
- Relationship Management with all IT vendors in the product and services side, in addition to those offering staff augmentation consulting services
This individual will have a significant role in designing the roles and functions which are expected to grow over time and future information technology capabilities like:
- Artificial Intelligence and Predictive Analytics
- Enterprise Data Architecture strategy
- BioInformatics, Data Analytics and Cloud
- Global Perspective - Significant experience in managing teams and ability to communicate effectively in a multicultural environment. Understands the position of the organization within a global context. Knows the impact of global trends on the organization.
- Demonstrates strong customer orientation, cross-functional collaboration and an ability to drive engagement and thrive in a highly complex environment embracing learning agility.
- Advanced problem solving skills, strategic mindset, ability to build effective teams, and leadership capabilities which includes people development, coaching, and objective setting.
- Ability to prioritize and oversee multiple projects in a fast-paced environment. Understanding of business processes coupled with strong organizational and financial skills.
- Advanced interpersonal skills. Demonstrates courage while interacting with individuals and groups. Tackles difficult issues with optimism and confidence.
Strategy and Leadership
- Implement industry wide best practices, improve process efficiency, establish control and compliance, and ensure ElevateBio’s IT Group is the hub of specialized skills and world class talent
- Provide continuous insight towards 3 to 5 years IT and AI goals, in line with ElevateBio’s exponential growth across evolving biotechnology environment and multi-product areas
- Support recruitment of top talent in our endeavor to be world’s most talented biotechnology company and to emerge as the employer of choice
- Work with a sense of urgency, support strategic projects, and establish efficient processes, Governance, and KPIs in ever evolving areas of the company
- Partner with key stakeholders across functions, understand cross-functional requirements, and customize services for a superior stakeholder satisfaction
- Manage external vendors in Information Technology Consulting areas in the best interest of company and ensure contract staff optimization for the organization
- Manage relationship with compliance office to ensure smooth operations and adhere to ElevateBio’s Compliance policy and necessary ethical requirements to run the business
- Ensure high quality services resulting in employee and stakeholder satisfaction, and optimum resource utilization for maximum service quality
Operations and Finance
- Create innovative IT strategies to ensure cost optimization, establish process efficiency and guide ElevateBio towards scalable best practices
- Manage external risk and internal matrix reporting complexity with a superior understanding of technology, people, and processes
- Implement global standards in IT Quality and adhere to highest level of GMP standards while partnering with key stakeholders
- Partner with IT and business to support execution of 3-5 year strategic plans, annual budgets/forecast, operating P&L targets, and provide support to financial forecasting and budgeting process
- Minimum ten years of recent experience in Database management, Data Analytics and Data warehousing, including cloud-native database and modern data warehouse (snowflake)
- In-depth understanding of database structure principles, knowledge of data mining and segmentation techniques
- Advanced knowledge of modern data architectural patterns, standards and data governance in relational and nonrelational databases
- Familiarity with standard industry tools for data cataloging, data ingestion, capture, processing and curation e.g., Snowflake, Kafka, Collibra, Map Reduce, Hadoop, Spark, Flume, Hive, Impala, SparkSQL. Preferably with experience in an AI/ML context with Python and Java environments.
- Expertise in data migration and processing using AWS services e.g., VPC/SG, EC2, S3, AutoScaling, CloudFormation, LakeFormation, DMS, RDS, Aurora, Cloudtrail, CloudWatch, Docker, Lambda, Glue, Sage Maker, API GW
- Understanding of AI and Machine learning systems and how they integrate into enterprise business process applications is desirable
- Familiarity with IT systems for Manufacturing, Quality, GMP, Research and Development areas
- Experience gathering and analyzing system requirements and understanding of SDLC methodologies
- Experience in life sciences or healthcare analytics industry OR start-up experience is desirable
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S. equivalent) preferably in Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics, Engineering or a related field is a must
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or Math is preferred