The Associate Director, IT Operations manages the IT Operations staff (both FTEs and third-party contractors), incorporating both internal-facing corporate user support and Datacenter Operations. They provide guidance, training, and organizational structure to their staff, along with functioning as a hands-on technical resource within their team. The IT Operations team is responsible for the daily monitoring, management, troubleshooting and issue resolution for the network, operating system, hardware, storage, and tools provided for our local application stack on a mix of Linux and Windows Server platforms. This position is also responsible for overseeing the Helpdesk by managing and monitoring our third-party helpdesk service provider.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
- Platform Support and Issue Resolution – Lead and participate in the daily management of all hardware and operating system (OS) platforms within the Alnylam Datacenter Environment, including, but not limited to:
- Windows Server, Active Directory, DNS, IIS
- Cloud based services such as Office 365, Okta, Azure and AWS
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Ubuntu, Red Hat Linux, Apache
- Cisco Hyperflex Architecture
- VMWare Virtualization Platform
- Various networking and security solutions
- Server backups and archiving
- Monitoring platforms
- · Helpdesk management services by overseeing our third-party helpdesk service providers in both North America and Western Europe.
- Internal Support – Lead and participate in the support of our local IT Operations, working closely with the IT Implementation group, while managing a diverse selection of servers and services for our unique needs as a pharmaceutical organization.
- Support End User Systems in conjunction with the local and global IT staff
- Support the various departments and disciplines within the organization
- Manage monitoring and reporting to support Alnylam initiatives
- Internal Training – Work to train affiliated team and all company staff regarding IT Operations processes and technologies. Support continuous technical training for yourself and your team.
- Develop staff paid training plan annually and ensure it occurs
- Discover opportunities to train other departments and leverage those resources
- Ensure that the IT Operations team has all the necessary skills to succeed
- Process and Project Management – Ensure that the IT Operations team has clear and consistent procedures for handling tasks and that there is accountability for timelines and deliverables related to the IT Platform.
- Vendor Relations – Work together with the Director of Technical Shared Services to maintain relationships with key vendors while working to identify and establish relationships with new providers.
- Team Management
- Ensure that your team is hardworking, conscientious and skilled by supporting them in learning and growth and setting clear tasks and objectives
- Manage the several disparate workflows for the IT Operations group and ensure that clear expectations are set with other internal organizations
- · Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS or equivalent experience
- · Professional Experience: 5-10 years’ experience within systems support organizations
- · 5-7 years of experience in support of large scale Infrastructure and Networking
- · 3-5 years of team leadership or management positions
- · Cisco networking and A/V experience
- · Plus: Proven experience in supporting mission critical applications on a global scale , particularly SaaS environments with three 9s or higher of SLA required
- · Advanced troubleshooting and problem solving capabilities
- · Able to strategically manage multiple projects simultaneously
- · Comfortable with a dynamic, fast paced work environment
- · Experience supporting systems remotely
- · Must be a self-starter and highly organized
- · Must be an effective leader and have excellent written and verbal communication skills