Associate Director, Information Services LIS
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report’s 2016 rankings. It is one of only 47 comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.
- Responsible for the hiring of Managers and Project Managers and Analysts as needed.
- Manages the LIS staff so that appropriate human resources are available and scheduled to accomplish priorities established by the Director, EHR Clinical Ancillaries, the Executive Director EHR, IS Division, and the appropriate LIS governing body.
- Provides and articulates resource requirements (financial, technical and human resource), risk analysis and impact of requested information system projects to the appropriate LIS and EHR governing bodies.
- Coaches and mentors LIS personnel to continuously improve technical, business analytic, and customer service skills.
- Promotes professional growth and development through leadership activities and continuing education and training
Relationship Management/ Customer Service
- Coordinates/communicates effectively with the Director, EHR Clinical Ancillaries, the Executive Director EHR, IT Directors, peer Associate Directors, Managers (clinical and otherwise), Project Managers, Team Leads and Analysts/Specialists.
- Communicates with the user community on laboratory and pathology project initiatives, especially in relation to their goals, status and expected outcomes, as well as overall information systems vision and strategies.
- Works collaboratively with internal customers, staff and other information systems departments to successfully implement laboratory- and pathology-related projects and support initiatives in the laboratory and pathology departments.
- Acts as the LIS liaison to the Compliance, Internal Audit, Legal and Financial Controls departments.
- Establishes positive partnerships with internal customers and effectively manages these relationships.
- Provides oversight of vendor relationships and vendor issue resolution as needed.
Leadership/ Program Management
- Leads the development of the Quality Assurance processes for laboratory and pathology applications, including but not limited to methodology, management processes, testing approaches, and second- or third-party assessments.
- Assists the Director, EHR Clinical Ancillaries in the formulation of department strategy, operating plans, and budgets on a regular basis.
- Ensures processes are established and performed for root cause analysis and continuous improvement within the LIS team and Electronic Health Record department .
- Proactively resolves issues encountered during and after the implementation of initiatives, working with all levels of personnel both internal and external to the institution
- Assumes fiscal responsibility, including budgetary monitoring for the LIS team.
Other duties as assigned by the Director, EHR Clinical Ancillaries.
Seven years of information technologyexperience to include five years of supervisory/management experience. May substitute requirededucation with additional years of experience on a one to one basis or completed years of college on a one to one basis.
Information technologyexperience in an academic / medical environment.
- Minimum of ten years in a healthcare IT environment providing application support and projects for clinical, laboratory, pathology and clinical revenue cycle systems.
- Three years Laboratory specific IT system experience.
- Management experience with Epic Beaker and/or Cerner Millennium implementation experience, including Clinical Pathology, Anatomic Pathology, Rover, Outreach and Reference Lab.
- Management experience with Cerner implementation experience.
- Experience working with senior and middle management and care providers in a team-oriented capacity.
- Must have demonstrated experience working in a matrixed reporting environment.
- Strong presentation skills and ability to present complex systemtechnologies and applications to diverse audiences, including senior executive management.
- Demonstrated experience successfully overseeing contractor personnel.
- Master’s Level Degree