Job Description Summary
Based in the worldwide headquarters of BD Biosciences (BDB) in San Jose, CA, this position provides strategic HR Business Partner support to key business/functional groups within this global business within the Life Science segment. This consultative HR position provides insight into talent management decisions, supports leaders in driving people and capability objectives, and provides a full-range of strategic HR Business partner support to their client groups. As an extended member of the BD HR team collaborates on design, development, introduction and/or integration of HR processes, practices, programs and initiatives that contribute to individual and company success.
This role will play a key part in the development as well as execution of organizational development strategies and capability plans with the designated BDB WW business functions, including HR business partner support toward impacting and progressing the business’ respective growth and innovation agendas over the short and long term.
This role will businesspartner with the key strategic business functions for BDB: R&D, North America Technical Services, Regulatory Affairs and Finance. It will sit on the leadership teams of these functions as well as on the BDBHRteam.
Organizational Effectiveness & Development
- Aligned with business, functional, and HR Strategy and KBO’s, provides strategic HR business partnering support for Client Leaders, works with the respective global functions LTs and people leaders to identify and resolve the corresponding business needs, develop and implement appropriate organizational plans, and build key capabilities required to achieve business objectives.
- Leads and supports client groups with organizational capability and capacity analyses and strategic workforce planning, organization design, associate engagement, organizational announcements.
- Acts as the trusted advisor of client leaders to support them in carrying out their business and functional plans.
- Identifies and capitalizes on opportunities to drive &/or lead change. Facilitates change management initiatives within assigned client units incorporating a methodology that includes: a business case for change, identification of primary stakeholders, process mapping, communications planning, action/transition planning, visioning sessions, conflict resolution, team building, and after-action review assessments.
- Develops & conducts team development/team building strategies both proactively and when necessary to improve team performance.
- Presents options to managers on organizational structure, roles & responsibilities, staffing levels, matrix management, etc.
- Contributes effectively to client strategy discussions and decision making
- Demonstrates deep understanding of client market spaces including external talent trends, culture, reward systems, and organization models.
Talent Management & Acquisition
- Identifies opportunities and guides leaders to fill competency gaps through talent acquisition and talent development.
- Be the talent advisor, facilitator and champion to ensure strong succession pipelines for critical roles
- Partners across BD and with Talent Management and Talent Acquisition teams to align top talent to highest priorities while ensuring inclusion and diversity outcomes
- Participates on the interview team and effectively counsels hiring leaders/teams in selection process
- Participates in/facilitates the Performance Management process (i.e. calibrate PxP at LT levels)
- Coaches managers with all aspects of the annual performance management and development process
- Guides managers to escalate issues of poor performance to AccessHR where required
- Consults with clients to understand training and development needs across their functional groups, to identify trends, patterns, etc, and works with the TM COE to present recommendations as part of organizational training needs assessment.
- Acts as advisor/approver for select job changes initiated by managers
- Facilitates talent reviews and follow through on development actions by driving accountability in client leaders supports by the HR organization
- Provides consultative guidance for compensation and facilitate appropriate compensation reviews
- Works with leadership team members during annual Compensation Planning time to ensure alignment of rewards to performance, and that rewards are used as organizational levers.
- Provides consultation and benchmarking insights for job offers based on strategic need
- Reviews periodic compensationreports to check for compensation changes and follow-up with leaders, required
Associate Engagement & Relations
- Guides managers to AccessHR for all employee relations and poor performance issues
- Provides strategic HR advisory support for complex HR issues and activities (e.g. reductions in force)
- Looks for trends and root causes as opportunities to improve organizational/team and associate satisfaction. Tracks claims & charges and measures improvement.
- Actively uses data and metrics to drive client engagement and drive accountability for outcomes both with client and the HR organization
- Monitors and addresses attrition and retention proactively and work closely with AccessHR to understanding leading and lagging indicators for observed trends
- Develops/defines associate separation strategy
- Manages severance for group separations in partnership with AccessHR, Associate Service Center, Legal, etc
HR Function effectiveness
- Is the face of HR to the client groups and lives ‘one HR’ everyday
- Coaches managers to utilize and manage their workforce through Workday
- Partners with the ASC and AccessHR and consistently meet with both groups to understand trends, discuss escalated items etc
- Partners with COEs to engage them on Organization plan for client’s organization to enable a more holistic HRsupport and better business outcomes
- Facilitates a warm transfer to the ASC or AccessHR, when appropriate
- Partners with COEs to design, develop and deploy updated processes or changes
- May be asked to manage special projects or processes related to process or program improvements for the global business
- Lead special site-wide projects that arise. Understands the goal, develop and implement project process and develops and presents sound proposals. May also implement selected solution.
- Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth knowledge of the team and interpersonal dynamics. Has the ability to model and manipulate data to build an understanding and then communicate findings to LT in a coherent manner.
- Responsible for other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- BS/BA degree in Business Administration, HR Management or related field required.
- Advanced degree (MBA/ Masters in HR or equivalent) is a plus
- Professional of Human Resources (PHR/SPHR) Certification desired
- Minimum of 10-12 years professional experience in HR, with at least 6 in a generalist capacity that required change management, organizational effectiveness/development, policy development and administration, recruitment/selection, compensation, employment law, positive employee relations, performance management, HRIS and/or employee and management training/development.
- Experience supporting a diverse client group including manufacturing and non-manufacturing/commercial clients ranging from hourly operating associates to professional business functions to PhD technical associates.
- Experience working in mid/large complex environments and matrixed organization is preferred.
- Experience working with other geographies is preferred.
- Has experience in working with others in the process of restructuring an organization (organizational design).
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Critical thinking skills are essential
- Working knowledge & understanding of all HR related disciplines including: talent acquisition, retention, reward & recognition, development, succession planning, organizational design, etc
- Ability to interface with various business clients and adeptly navigate a variety of business opportunities and challenges. The ability to come up to speed quickly and apply best practices in various settings is a key skill
- Action oriented including the ability to make decisions in the face of ambiguity
- Process thinking and ability to provide project execution leadership to HR solutions
- Results driven to achieve timely results while multitasking
- Demonstrated flexibility in responding to business and environmental needs
- Analytical skills demonstrating the ability to extract, format, analyze and interpret data
- The ability to lead project teams through influence and by focusing on the team goal and simplifying the process to achieve it
- Possesses key process skills such as consulting, problem-solving, evaluation/diagnosis, workshop and meeting design and facilitation
- Organizational savvy to apply managerial courage and maintain relationships when confronted with complex and/or difficult situations
- Demonstrated success in translating ambiguous business needs into strategies and concrete team and individual development actions
- Possesses personal credibility as embodied by proven track record of success, able to instill confidence in others, able to frame complex ideas in useful ways, takes appropriate risks, able to provide candid observations and alternative insights on business issues
- Able to manage change through taking a proactive role in bringing about change and following proven change frameworks.
- Builds supportive relationships with others
- Challenges the status quo
- Balances, integrates and manages under conditions of uncertainty, ambiguity and paradox
- Interpersonal and Cross-cultural Savvy
- Excellent communication and influencing skills across multiple levels, functions and cultures
- Coaching/mentoring skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel, Power Point, Word