General Position Summary/Purpose:
The Associate Director Field Medical Training position is responsible for developing and delivering the training strategy and curriculum for the Medical Science Liaison team to achieve their maximum potential based on their needs and the needs of the organization.
Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) are field-based and report to a Field Director within (MA).
MSLs are scientifically trained professionals with strong clinical and/or scientific backgrounds with excellent communication skills. They are responsible for identifying, developing, and managing relationships with current and future hematology thought leaders in academic and community practices.
Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute the MSL annual training strategy and plan.
- Develop and implement MSL fluency assessment strategy and execute the according to plan. Plan to include fluency, outcome measurements and analyses as well as a proposal to advance the knowledge and learning of the MSL team.
- Create innovative ways to measure MSL effectiveness in developing their strategic field plan of action and ability to communicate scientific information to external experts.
- Implement an interactive and workshop based learning model in order to create performance-focused training that continuously improves the capabilities of the MSL.
- Oversee Program Manager development of key metrics to track progress for successful outcomes in field execution and pull-through post training (workshop and curriculum implementation).
- Additional training duties include:
- Field travel with MSLs – HCP meetings and scientific exchange
- MSL Coaching
- Coordinate MSL training sessions (new hire onboarding and maintenance)
- Collaborates with Scientific communication management and disease area leads to determine the learning and development needs of the MSL organization
- Builds effective working relationships with Knowledge Management leadership to incorporate Medical Affairs strategic priorities into training annual plan and workshop content
- Builds effective working relationships with Compliance and Learning and Development leadership to incorporate non-scientific training into the MSL curriculum
- Strong strategic planning skills; ability to appraise needs, solve problems, and select alternatives
- Instills a spirit of continuous improvement to consistently enhance/ modify existing programs and leads activity to identify and apply innovative training initiatives and technology platforms
- Serve as a key clinical/scientific resource to the MSL team and internal colleagues.
- Maintain thorough and up-to-date knowledge of disease state, clinical and scientific information, product data and professional trends in infectious diseases and related areas
- Hematology/oncology experience highly desired
- 5+ years of experience in industry (e.g., biotech/pharmaceutical/medical device company, Contract Research Organization), academic research, or public health
- Clinical and/or industry experience in the oncology/hematological therapeutic area
- Prior MSL or pertinent field engagement with HCPs experience required
- Strong leadership skills required
- Strong background in computers and exhibited technical expertise required
- Established track record of effective oral presentations, external expert engagement skills and education
- Expertise in critically evaluating the appropriate literature
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Knowledge of FDA compliance and regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of instructional design systems, adult learning techniques or extensive experience in training, development of training and curriculum design are strongly desired
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
- Able to work well within a team and relate effectively with people at all levels of the organization.
- Able to inspire a team to excel by fostering a climate of energy, excitement and personal accountability
- Current working knowledge of US legal, regulatory, and compliance regulations and guidelines
- PA, DO/MD, PharmD, PhD or RN/NP with advanced degree preferred.