Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare. This role supports the Federal Tax Audit function and reports to the Executive Director – Tax Audits and Tax Counsel. The Federal Tax Audit Associate Director will work with the Executive Director –Tax Audits and Tax Counsel to manage the audit process and develop audit strategy. This position involves working closely with the Internal Revenue Service and with the various groups within the Merck Tax department.
The Federal Tax Audit Associate Director will be responsible for preparing responses to the Internal Revenue Service Information Document Requests (“IDRs”), gathering information, preparing analysis to support findings, performing tax research, reviewing IRS’ transcripts and tax filed forms.
This individual must be a self-starter who works effectively in cross-functional teams to identify and gather information.
- Assist with Federal Taxaudits
- Prepare responses Internal revenue Service's IDRs
- Independently gather information from the groups within Merck Tax Department, Controller's Organization, Legal and the various operating divisions throughout Merck.
- Document and analyze support for IDRs
- Prepare analysis using information gathering from Compliance, Transfer Pricing, Planning and Business Development areas within the Tax Department
- Understand and analyze IRS transcripts for payment and interest calculations
- Support strategic audit planning, which includes understanding reserve analysis, compliance process and impacts of current transactions on future audit cycles
- Prepare management reporting of audit cycle status
- Support Compliance in FIN 48 reporting
- Work with Executive Director of Federal TaxAudits and Tax Counsel to research, review and prepare various required filings that might typically occur during an IRS audit, which could include for example: statute extensions, repatriation requests, competent authority notifications, interest netting claims, refund clams, power of attorney, requests for technical advise, and other issues associated with audit procedures
- Assist with the formal process of administrative appeals as necessary
- Manage the amending of state returns for impacts of Federal audit closure
Education Minimum Requirement:
- BS in Accounting or Business related field
- An MBA, JD/LLM, and/or Master’s degree in relevant field of study is a plus
Required Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 4+ years’ experience in Tax Audit, Tax Compliance or Tax Accounting
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience with preparation of Federal Forms, including the 1120
- Understanding of the tax compliance function
- In Depth knowledge of Tax code and Audit procedures
- Ability to interpret technical tax issues and provide guidance on IRS procedural issues
- Comfortable working directly with the IRS on Audit issues
- Excellent teamwork, and analytical skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in managing a significant workload, with the ability to juggle multiple requests simultaneously
- Ability to be proactive and take initiative
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
Requisition ID: TAX000188