The stop-loss direct marketing underwriter is responsible for driving profitable growth of the stop-loss direct channels, which includes business marketed directly through third party administrators. This role is responsible for building relationships with third party administrators and identifying strategies to support mutual growth. This role will also be responsible for underwriting and negotiating sales opportunities directly with third party administrators. This position will monitor performance and emerging risks within their book of business, and manage the profitability of the book to meet acceptable targets.
1. Provide underwriting guidance and risk assessment for stop-loss prospects marketed directly by third party administrators:
- Evaluate, price and propose rate and strategy on stop-loss prospects, including specific and aggregate benefits
- Manage assigned workload to meet productivity and time service standards
- Demonstrate independent decision making on case work utilizing general underwriting guidelines
- Quote appropriate rates based on well-established underwriting guidelines and risk properties of prospect directly to third party administrators
- Support the identification and development of best practices, work flows and procedures
- Analyze information on medical industry, demographics, plan document design, medical network and other standard criteria
2. Develop and maintain direct relationships with third party administrators
- Sell our stop-loss product by developing relationships directly with third party administrators.
- Identify, develop and manage new relationships with third party administrators
- Leverage internal team to support third party administrator relationships as appropriate
- Formulate a successful strategy with third party administrators to sell cases within general underwriting guidelines
- Meet seasonal targets and individual sales goals
3. Manage performance of the overall block of business
- Monitor profitability of each book of business with a given third party administrator
- Partner with third party administrators to identify opportunities for growth and/or corrective actions as appropriate
- Minimum 8 years of stop-loss product underwritingexperience
- Previous experience selling the stop-loss product is preferred.
- BA/BS degreepreferred
- Excellent communication, negotiation and analytical skills required
- Strong networking and relationship management skills
- Driven, self-motivated, consultative and a great problem solver.
- Requires strong Microsoft Excel knowledge