We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation, and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute, and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
We are currently seeking a bright and creative Associate Director, Digital Strategy Business Development to join our Digital Strategy Team. The Associate Director will be joining a team of high-performers that is working to promote the digital evolution of UMG through innovation, engagement, and analysis. This person will be expected to challenge the status quo, re-imagine business processes wearing a digital lens, and recommend digital opportunities for implementation. They will also be expected to drive open and transparent communication within the group and externally across UMG and its record labels. The ideal candidate must have a passion for music and an entrepreneurial spirit; they must be process and detail-oriented and intellectually curious; and they must thrive in a high-demand, performance-driven environment.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Plan and oversee new business development initiatives
- Gather and synthesize information on incoming new digital business opportunities via partner materials, research, and external meetings
- Build business cases leveraging internal data, secondary research, and advanced quantitative and qualitative modeling
- Develop forecasts and models to quantify/qualify potential partnerships
- Stay up to date with digital technology developments; Ability to recognize emerging trends at the intersection of music and technology
- Source compelling new digital business opportunities
- Create and present research and analysis such that it is easily digestible and ultimately transformed into a strategic narrative for both internal and external review
- Interface with UMG’s internal stakeholders; Business affairs, labels, publishing, executive leadership, etc.
Bring your VIBE:
- 3+ years of experience in music-related business development, major label, artist management, major publisher or digital music service business role
- In-depth understanding of the music business and digital media landscape
- Inherent desire to stay current on developments in digital technology
- Ability to synthesize and communicate complex information into a clear and compelling story that helps key internal decision-makers commit to action
- Advanced presentation skills with an eye to aesthetics and design to facilitate communication
- Creative thinking and ability to seek innovative solutions to complex technical and business problems
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Ability to partner and collaborate with a diverse range of interests and perspectives
- Team player with a demonstrated passion for music
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- MBA or JD a plus
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!