The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
The Associate Director, Communicationsis responsible for overseeing communications efforts for the Miami women's basketball and rowing programs. The Associate Director, Communicationsalso assists in setting the overall communications strategy for the department and ensuring that strategy aligns with the mission, vision and values of UM Athletics.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the communications contact for the women's basketball program, consisting of setting up interviews with local and national media; writing and distributing press releases and game notes; managing press operations for all home games and media day; writing player and coach biographies; managing all information on HurricaneSports.com; active engagement on social media and historical archiving.
- Serve as the communications contact for the rowing program; consisting of setting up interviews with local and national media; writing and distributing press releases; writing player and coach biographies; managing all information on HurricaneSports.com; active engagement on social media and historical archiving.
- Work closely with local and national media to help promote assigned programs.
- Handle all award nominations for women's basketball and rowing, and promotion of student-athletes, coaches and teams for awards.
- Serve as the communications liaison to the Student Athlete Advisory Council (SAAC).
- Responsible for maintaining compliance with NCAA, Atlantic Coast Conference, institutional and departmental rules.
- All other duties as assigned by the Assistant Athletic Director for Communications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently, set priorities and think critically.
- Strong writing skills, including knowledge of AP Style.
- Familiarity with social media platforms, content management platforms, desktop publishing software, graphic design software and statistical programs.
- Strong attention to detail and multi-task orientated.
- Exceptional interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
Education Requirements (Essential Requirements):
- Bachelor's degree required.
Work Experience Requirements (Essential Requirements):
- 4-6 years of experience in Athletics, Public Relations and/or related field.
- Ability to travel and work nights and weekends when required.