PPD is a leading global contract research organization. At PPD we are passionate, deliberate, and driven by our purpose - to improve health.
PPD’s Clinical Management department combines institutional knowledge, in-depth therapeutic experience, and robust operational tools to help clients define and develop clinical programs, minimize delays, and execute high-quality, cost-efficient clinical studies.
As an Associate Director Clinical Management, you will manage, select, train, coach and provide performance management of Manager Clinical Management (CRA Line Managers) employees.
This position offers our full benefits package as well as continued career advancement working from an office or from home within the Clinical Management department or other departments within PPD.
At PPD we hire the best, develop ourselves and each other, and recognize the power of being one team.
Manages, selects, trains, coaches and performance management of Manager Clinical Management employees for a specified geography. Accountable for functional management of Manager Clinical Management employees to ensure successful execution of all clinical deliverables within assigned project(s). May direct the clinical objectives of projects within cost, time and quality requirements at the region or global level to ensure optimum performance and achievement of key objectives/targets. May represent Clinical Management in global and/or crossfunctional initiatives.
- Supervises and coordinates Clinical Management functions, including mentoring managers in day-to-day activities and responsibilities related to the clinical deliverables. Ensures the clinical teams are provided with the necessary support and resources to successfully deliver clinical deliverables, e.g., oversees study start-up, monitoring and site management deliverables. At a country level, may liaise with other functional departments to ensure delivery of projects to clients and contribute to feasibility projects.
- Ensures the timely execution of clinical deliverables with a focus on quality deliverables. In those cases, develops and drives the specific and overall project or program strategies to ensure optimum performance and achievement of annual plans and targets. Facilitates meetings to identify potential risks and work with the clinical team to develop and communicate contingency plans. Ensures risks to clinical deliverables and potential solutions are communicated through appropriate escalation pathways. Reviews and assesses clinical project or program finances and ensures risks are escalated appropriately with any information necessary for a contract modification
- Manages clinical management resource levels including hiring and promoting, as appropriate. Participates in resource calls and ensure teams are provided with adequate levels of appropriately qualified resources
- Inducts new managers to PPD. Provides performance appraisals, evaluate and allocate bonuses and merit increases, as appropriate. Develops and motivates through goal setting, ongoing feedback, formal evaluation, and effective delegation of decision making. Ensures staff is trained and mentored according to company policies and procedures. Develops, implements and reviews key performance metrics
- Manages the overall budgeting activity of the assigned group(s) - annual and long range forecast
- May participate in global and/or cross-functional initiatives and process improvement projects
- Establishes operating policies & procedures that affect departments and subordinate sections of work units. Interprets company-wide policies and procedures. Develops budgets, schedules, and performance standards.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's Degree in a life science related field or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the individual with the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. In some cases, an equivalent combination of education, professional training and experience that provides the required
knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Significant clinical research experience (comparable to 10+ years) including remote and clinical monitoring and experience in all phases of study life cycle, including start up, interim and close out. Line management experience appropriate to the size and complexity of the clinical management group in
the designated country/region. Valid Driver's License and Passport.
Years of experience refers to typical years of related experience needed to gain the required knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the essential functions of the job. Years of experience are not to be used as the only determining factor in establishing the job class or making employment selection decisions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Solid leadership and management skills
- Excellent judgment and decision making skills
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving ability
- Advanced organizational and negotiation skills
- Excellent oral/presentation and written communication skills in the native language and in English
- Ability to perform tasks required of a functional staff
- Ability to successfully network with other divisions (departments) where necessary
- Knowledge of budgeting, forecasting and fiscal management
- Demonstrated expertise in leading, motivating and integrating project teams
- Self-motivated and possess good interpersonal skills and projects a positive attitude.
- Ability to effectively teach required skills
- Excellent coaching and mentoring skills
- Knowledge and understanding of clinical development regulatory guidelines and Directives
- Ability to work effectively in a matrix organization