Editas Medicine is a transformative genome editing company with a mission to translate its genome editing technology into a novel class of human therapeutics that enable precise and corrective genome level molecular modification to treat the underlying cause of a broad range of diseases.
Editas is looking for a versatile and highly-motivated individual to support the business development activities of a rapidly growing biotech start-up. Reporting to Vice President of Business Development the Associate Director or Director of Business Development will play a key role in driving Editas’ strategic initiatives, and will be responsible for the identification, evaluation and execution of strategic collaborations. Activities will include business case development, due diligence, strategic and valuation analyses, transactional activities, and executing deals. The successful candidate will be capable of externally representing Editas on each of these facets, and effectively working cross-functionally to analyze, review and gain internal support for business development initiatives.
- Collaborate closely with internal cross-functional stakeholders to continuously develop Editas’ partnering strategy
- Interact with business development contacts, facilitate communication, identify opportunities/approaches to enhance external relationships.
- Identify, evaluate and pursue relevant opportunities that are consistent with scientific and business objectives
- Attend events (including major partnering, scientific and medical conferences) to help prospect for new opportunities and build relationships with potential partners
- Maintain understanding of landscape and monitor key events related to opportunities of interest
- Lead business case development, scenario planning, deal financial modeling and deal valuation/return analyses to determine optimal partnering scenarios.
- Closely collaborate with the Research and Development teams to define technical characteristics of partnering opportunities of interest
- Plan and execute on business development meetings, seminars and conferences, including preparation of materials.
- Organize and lead cross-functional due diligence process and teams (scientific, clinical, market/commercial, etc.) in evaluating the scientific merit and strategic fit of partnering opportunities
- Develop presentations on strategic opportunities for internal and board discussions
- Develop deal structures and term sheets
- Manage the contract drafting/review process and coordinate cross-functional input and with legal
- Negotiate and close transactions consistent with business cases and corporate goals
- Provides business development input and support to internal programs as appropriate.
- Negotiate changes to agreements with current partners to align with evolving business needs
- Work collaboratively across functions and with senior management to effectively lead and manage the business development area
- Lead/manage special initiatives on ad hoc basis, to support our corporate objectives
- Supervise and mentor a business analyst that supports BD analysis and competitive intelligence
- Undergraduate degree plus MBA or advanced scientific degreerequired
- Minimum 7 years of experience working in biotech/pharma environment, including technology transfer setting. Strategy consulting experience is a plus.
- Strong strategic and analytical problem-solving skills and experience in assessing opportunities for strategic fit with corporate objectives
- Strong understanding of drug discovery and development, preferably in gene and cell therapy
- Knowledge of market and competitive environment including deal activity, and potential opportunities. Knowledge of the resources available to drive a deeper understanding of these topics
- Track record of sourcing partnership opportunities, and leading business discussions
- Solid negotiation skills
- Proven ability to “think on your feet” both during negotiations with third parties and during internal discussions of risks and strategy
- Excellent professional communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Strong analytic and financial modeling skills, with extreme attention to detail, accuracy and accountability balanced with sound business judgment and execution speed
- Experience in preparing detailed analyses on business development partnerships while also capable of providing a concise summary with key conclusions
- Ability to function autonomously and drive strategic decisions while also executing deals from sourcing to deal close
- Demonstrated ability to forge relationships and work in a hands-on collaborative fashion with many different disciplines both inside and outside the company
- Proven ability to manage teams and multiple projects effectively with a high degree of independence
- Proficiency in preparing presentation materials and ability to tell a coherent story and connect with internal and external stakeholders in a persuasive manner
- Ability to make strong professional and credible impressions with senior-level audiences