Job Title: Associate Director, Automation
Location: Thousand Oaks, CAAbout the role:
The Head of Automation is a member of the engineering leadership team and responsible for managing the automation engineering staff, providing technical support, and implementing capital projects at the Thousand Oaks Plant (including Rancho and Lawrence manufacturing sites).How you will contribute:
What you bring to Takeda:
- Responsible for developing and implementing an innovative and compelling vision and strategy for the future of the Automation Group, including Manufacturing Intelligence and Digitization to meet the site's objectives.
- Drive strategic initiatives to ensure that life cycle management of automated systems is appropriate and complete.
- Liaise between Manufacturing and Facility clients and external engineering and vendor resources in the conceptual design, detailed design, specification, procurement, construction, commissioning, and qualification of automation systems for CGMP production facilities.
- Provide engineering expertise and direction to employees and contractors to meet project and support schedules and financial goals while ensuring technical success.
- Engage with the Takeda and external network, such as global engineering, manufacturing sites, industry forums and subject matter experts to drive continuous innovation.
- Leverage network to solve complex equipment and process issues.
- Display in-depth knowledge and expertise in process automation aspects including such technologies as Cell Culture, Purification, Filling & Packaging, as well as Cell Therapy Technology.
- Lead and manage a group of automation engineers and represent the automation engineering function to other partner groups such as IT, Quality, Validation; Manufacturing, Facilities, Global Engineering and Global Automation, ensuring the quality of work and appropriate resources are in place to support ongoing initiatives, operations and projects requiring Automation Support.
- Coach, motivate, develop, recognize, and mentor the engineering staff, including senior level engineers and managers. Being a mentor developing future leaders.
- Develop & nurture core competencies of the automation SMEs at sites to ensure technical capabilities are built and that knowledge and experience are maintained.
- Support Manufacturing and Operations by providing strategic direction and tactical support. Troubleshoot day-to-day issues, assigning personnel as necessary to provide comprehensive solutions.
- Be aware of technology automation trends and benchmarks in the industry. Benchmark against peers so that Takeda Thousand Oaks is in-line with industry.
- Assist and provide resources in various stages of the engineering project lifecycle from conceptual design, detailed design, specification, implementation, commissioning, qualification, trouble-shooting and continuous improvement of automation and instrumentation for biopharmaceutical production and supporting utility systems.
- Through coaching, direct others to resolve project issues based on own demonstrated success in solving difficult and complex problems.
- Provide leadership to assess and provide guidance on risk assessments regarding requirements for redundancies to automation systems.
- Assess, analyze, advise, propose, and direct improvements that will deliver greater productivity, capacity, reliability, and compliance for the Automation Department.
- Establish, develop, and drive Good Engineering Practices in all projects undertaken and support services provided. Utilize standard methodologies that have been established for project and portfolio management as well as maintenance work order management.
- Participate in and facilitate the harmonization and coordination of efforts between other teams such as Validation, Manufacturing, Facilities Engineering, Maintenance, Manufacturing Services, R&D, EHS and Regulatory.
- Ensure compliance to all regulatory GMP, Safety and Environmental requirements.
- Interface with regulatory agency representative (e.g. FDA/EMA) as the site Automation SME during internal and external audits and shall be able to defend current practices to such agencies.
- Strong skills to work in matrix organization with excellent interpersonal, communication, influencing, and negotiation skills required.
- Sound industry knowledge, project proficiency, and autonomy expected. May be considered a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in various disciplines.
- Demonstrate strong communication skills to effectively communicate with all levels of professionals, both internal and external.
- Ensures and is accountable for all deliverables including schedule milestones, financial performance, and quality of scope according to the assigned projects.
- Manage contractors and external vendors to deliver robust technical solutions.
- Manage and forecast capital and expense budgets.
- Strong communication skills to effectively communicate with all levels of professionals, both internal and external
- Strong automation engineering skills based on sound engineering and scientific principles preferably with a bio-technology foundation.
- Proven track record of management/leadership effectiveness.
- Ability to design and influence outside of immediate scope of responsibility.
- Experience in preparing project budgets and timelines.
- Experience in defining, executing, and managing pre-conceptual, conceptual, basic, and detail designs.
- Strong problem solving and trouble shooting skills
What Takeda can offer you:
- Bachelor's degree in in Engineering; preferably Chemical/Mechanical/Electrical Engineering
- Minimum 12 years of experience with process automation, design, process improvement and projects.
- Minimum 5 years of leadership experience
- Scope requires an in-depth knowledge of pharmaceutical industry relevant to process automation systems, and general working GMP knowledge of pharmaceutical manufacturing facilities and utilities.
- Knowledge of systems such as Allen Bradley PLC platforms, Schneider Electric, Johnson Controls, DeltaV, SCADA systems, PI Historian, Siemens PLC S7, iFix, iHistorian, Industrial Ethernet networks, Profibus and AS-I networks
- Comprehensive Healthcare: Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Financial Planning & Stability: 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs and company match of charitable contributions
- Family Planning Support
- Professional training and development opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement
At Takeda, our patients rely on us to deliver quality products. As a result, we must follow strict rules in our manufacturing facilities to ensure we are not endangering the quality of the product. In this role, you may:
More about us:
- Work in a controlled environment requiring special gowning and wear protective clothing over the head, face, hands, feet and body. This may include additional hearing protection for loud areas.
- Need to remove all make-up, jewelry, contact lenses, nail polish and/or artificial fingernails while in the manufacturing environment.
- Work in a cold, wet environment.
- Work multiple shifts, including weekends, or be asked to work supplemental hours, as necessary.
- Work around chemicals such as alcohol, acids, buffers and Celite that may require respiratory protection.
- Office, mechanical areas, and cleanrooms.
At Takeda, we are transforming patient care through the development of novel specialty pharmaceuticals and best in class patient support programs. Takeda is a patient-focused company that will inspire and empower you to grow through life-changing work.
Certified as a Global Top Employer, Takeda offers stimulating careers, encourages innovation, and strives for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
This posting excludes Colorado applicants.
#ZR1 EEO Statement
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law. Locations
USA - CA - Thousand Oaks - Rancho ConejoWorker Type