The Associate Director of Audience Development will partner with our site leads to craft initiatives that introduce Vanity Fair content to new readers and build loyalty with its existing audience. The Associate Director will be responsible for developing and implementing a content distribution strategy that will extend the reach and amplification of the brand across newsletters, multiple social networks, search, and partnerships. Using analytics, research, and insights, the Associate Director will work closely with Editorial and Consumer Marketing leads to inform the content and subscription strategy across Vanity Fair. This person should also have an eye for revenue, with an understanding of how direct to consumer models work and how optimizing the conversion funnel can help move the subscription business forward.
The ideal candidate will be someone who deeply understands the digital media industry and direct-to-consumer products, is highly analytical, and is nimble and creative with the ability to think critically and incorporate data and testing into the decision-making process. Curiosity, motivation and rigor are a must.
- Collaborate with brand stakeholders including Editorial, Product, Consumer Marketing, and Sales to develop and execute data-driven audience growth plans that are consistent with the brand's editorial mission across a variety of platforms and maximize customer monetization
- Work closely with digital leadership to determine and meet growth KPIs and ensure that they align with editorial and revenue strategy
- Project manage all audience development touch points (Social, Newsletter, SEO, Partnerships) and their associated components, from inception to successful completion
- Manage overall audience development testing strategy—including consumer funnel optimization, distribution channel mix, and headline and image optimization.
- Collaborate closely with Editorial, Consumer Marketing and Product teams on Vanity Fair's subscription business; use data to inform testing and optimizations throughout various points in the conversion funnel ranging from distribution to on site experience
- Manage social team (associate manager and senior manager) and lead social initiatives, applying best practices to the content strategy that will strengthen and optimize the brand's social media footprint
- Manage senior analytics manager and lead analytics projects and reporting (recurring and ad hoc) to measure content performance, audience development initiatives, and consumer marketing efforts, and work to optimize them according to business goals
- Manage email strategy and project manage the day-to-day curation and production of daily and weekly emails; work with editorial and email strategy teams to manage testing and optimization and launch new email products
- Manage key partnerships and content distribution on external platforms; utilize data and insights to inform the optimization of these partnerships
- Identify new growth opportunities and best practices based on emerging digital trends, competitive business intelligence and consumer insight, and develop and experiment with new content executions in emerging distribution platforms
- Undergraduate degree in a related field (journalism, communications, marketing, analytics, business) required. Graduate degree a plus.
- 5+ years of experience with a major website, digital advertising agency or online marketing, advertising, publishing, fashion or retail organization with a thorough understanding of online business models and strategies
- Understanding of most audience development channels - SEO, social, newsletter, and partnerships
- Hands-on experience managing digital audience acquisition programs
- Knowledge of major web analytics tool such as Google Analytics, Omniture, Parsely, and/or Chartbeat
- Solid understanding of social and mobile channels, and familiarity with social analytics tools
- Entrepreneurial, digitally savvy, creative and experimental in the approach to problem solving, with exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to clearly articulate and present analyses to all levels of management, including c-suite executives and Editorial leadership
- Entrepreneurial, digitally savvy, with exceptional analytical, quantitative, problem- solving, and critical thinking skills