Covance is currently seeking a Associate Director to join the team based in Madison, WI. Reporting to the US Head Animal Welfare & Vet Services, the Associate Director AWVS will serve as the site Attending Veterinarian overseeing veterinary health care for laboratory animals, provide guidance regarding the care and maintenance of laboratory animals, and training for technicians. The Attending Vet will ensure animal health and welfare in compliance with applicable animal welfare regulations and help maintain facilities for AAALAC accreditation.
Job Duties include:
- Monitor animal health and welfare in compliance with all applicable animal welfare regulations and help maintain facilities for AAALAC accreditation.
- Provide oversight of the animal care and use program and drive compliance with regulatory groups and agencies.
- Provide laboratory animal medical and surgical care by examination, treatment and advice to ensure adequate and humane veterinary support.
- Safeguard, monitor and advise on the welfare of animals.
- Advise on and participate in the training of technical and professional staff as required. Manage development and training of veterinary staff to meet business and personal needs.
- Monitor and advise on the health of animals. Assist in ensuring the maintenance of the health of animals and the prevention of infectious disease. Advise on and implement animal health control and monitoring programs.
- Advise and provide scientific expertise on animal health, biology, physiology, and research methodology to staff scientists and technicians. Advise on and perform anesthesia, analgesia, surgical techniques, post-operative care, euthanasia and other veterinary or scientific procedures required for study purposes.
- Supervise site AWCM employees and perform related duties including full range of recruitment activities, full range of performance evaluation activities, schedules work, prepares training plans, and executes Affirmative Action goals in department.
- Graduate of AVMA accredited veterinary school or equivalent
- License to practice veterinary medicine in at least one US state
- Active/Unrestricted license in the state of Wisconsin, or eligibility to attain IN license within 6 months of hire.
- USDA accredited OR eligible to attain accreditation
- 5+ years managerial experience in a leadership role in a research environment
- Board Certification by the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM) preferred
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent leadership and management experience
- Ability to work productively in a fast-paced environment