Experienced state government relations representative, under the executive director’s direction, involved in planning and developing all aspects of the petroleum council’s activities where assistance is requested, or assignment is delegated. Works with the executive director in executing programs to influence issues of concern to industry including; regulatory, local government and federal matters. Works to build partnerships with relevant state, local and federal officials.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under the supervision of the executive director, manage assigned regulatory and legislative issues.
- Anticipate and identify emerging and potential issues impacting the petroleum industry and plans, develops and executes programs or activities to address these issues on behalf of member companies.
- Provides leadership in the development of the petroleum industry’s local government priorities for the state and keeps fully informed of the industry’s priorities on local government issues, and works with the executive director to ensure the council’s activities meet these priorities.
- Works with the director to keep the appropriate advisory committees and members of the state working group, and other interested company personnel informed on matters of interest and ensure the appropriate input is solicited to maintain effective management of these matters.
- Develops and maintains close cooperative relationships with a wide variety of allied businesses, industries, and other key constituencies with interests similar to the petroleum industry and provides the leadership in development of ad hoc coalitions among these constituencies to carry out programs of mutual interests.
- Assists executive director in managing the activities and operation of the council office and assumes an agreed upon leadership role in the absence of the executive director.
- Cultivates good working relationships with regulatory agencies, county commissioners, city council members, planning staff, etc.
- Under the supervision of the executive director, assist in the preparation of testimony, data, position papers and other appropriate communications to promote the position of the industry on issues before elected officials.
- Manages issues assigned by the executive director including taking a leadership role in organizing and leading specific council advisory committees.
- Requires a close relationship with API and industry personnel, government officials, key private sector constituencies, professional and non-profit organizations, the media and others.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Undergraduatedegreerequired. Advanced degreepreferred.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible professional experience in a related field is required.
- Requires a working knowledge of the operations of state and local government.
- Understanding of the petroleum industry would be helpful.
- Excellent written, oral, and analytical skills are required.