The primary function of the position is to develop within the School, a strong culture of innovation, research, grant-writing, and entrepreneurial programs that enhance and support the School's mission and strategic goals including, but not limited to, faculty development, graduate student education and educational institutes for k-12 faculty, principals and administrators.
The Associate Dean for Research and Outreach is expected to work with the Dean and the faculty in SEUS in developing a rigorous program of interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research. The Associate Dean will also be expected to cultivate functional relationships with external and internal entities, including k-12 school systems within the state, federal and other funding agencies, Baltimore philanthropic organizations, and other schools and colleges within the university.
Specific duties include:
- Lead in the establishment and articulation of a broad research focus for the School.
- Lead in the establishment and articulation of entrepreneurial programming, including, but not limited to, educational institutes, workforce development training, specialty camps for k-12 students
- Work with the Office of Sponsored Programs and the Vice President for Research and Economic Development on behalf of the School of Education and Urban Studies, to identify RFPs that are relevant to the mission of the School, and to ensure smooth and effective management of grant processes.
- Liaise with the Division of Academic Outreach and Engagement in the identification of outreach opportunities with external entities.
- Serve as a resource and facilitator for faculty and staff in all aspects of the grant-writing process, including reviewing and approving faculty and staff grant and contract proposals.
- Be available for consultation with faculty, graduate students, and dissertation committees in the design of research as needed.
- Evaluate grant/contract progression and provide periodic reports to the Dean.
- Collaborate with the SEUS research committee to develop and enact strategies to enhance faculty research competence.
- Develop collaborative partnerships with k-12 school systems for the mutual benefit of the k-12 schools and the School of Education and Urban Studies.
- Explore and develop relationships with external funding agencies.
- Forge lasting relationships between SEUS and other Morgan schools and colleges to facilitate interdisciplinary research.
- The Associate Dean for Research and Outreach shall also carry out such other duties that may be delegated from time to time by the Dean.
Requested Minimum QualificationsThe successful candidate will have a Doctorate Degree in Education or a related field from an accredited university.
- Be eligible to be hired at the level of an associate or full professor
- Strong track record of successful grant-writing
- Experience in the design and implementation of income-generating initiatives
- Research and publication at the level of an associate or full professor
- Knowledge of and competence in the use of qualitative and quantitative data analysis software
- Commitment to a social justice agenda and ability to work with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated evidence of excellent oral and written presentation skills
- Demonstrated evidence of excellent supervisory skills