This is a position in the Law department assigned to primarily support the Financial Institutions Group. The Financial Institutions Group is a division that brings debt-related and non-debt related insurance products as well as lending solutions to banks, credit unions, finance companies, association groups, and employers.
- The general responsibility is to provide legal advice and support, with the exception of litigation matters, to the assigned Securian business unit while ensuring the efficient resolution of issues and problems. This includes designing and developing products, distribution methods, and ensuring compliance with all applicable state and federal rules, regulations and laws affecting the applicable business unit. Specific duties may include:
- Drafting and/or reviewing loan and deposit documents provided to financial institution clients and addressing related questions from internal and external clients.
- Conducting legal research and analysis relating to consumer credit or home equity loans and lines of credit and related federal and state laws.
- Serving as strategic legal advisor to the business unit relating to lending and deposit laws.
- eMonitor legislative, regulatory and industry changes or trends in order to advise and assist management in planning necessary changes.
- Provide legal support related to credit insurance or financial institution protection products as needed, including legal research, analysis, and advice to division associates as needed.
- Communicate verbally and prepare correspondence with policyholders, agents, outside attorneys, insurance departments and/or other client constituents on specific legal issues to ensure understanding.
- Manage personal self-development to prepare for new responsibilities and challenges in a changing environment.
- The position is expected to become familiar with Company operations, business, and the applicable laws.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Admitted to the practice of law in the State of Minnesota.
- At least three years’ experience in insurance or lending law.
- Demonstrated knowledge of lending and deposit laws relating to consumer credit or home equity loans and lines of credit and related federal and state laws.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate, establish, and maintain effective working relationships with industry partners and associates across the organization.
- Practical-minded and business-and results- oriented while operating within Securian’s risk appetite.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently perform all basic legal skills such as legal research, analysis, drafting, and advocacy.
- Ability and desire to obtain a good working knowledge of life and health and property and casualty insurance law and banking law concepts and the client’s operations.
- Familiarity and compliance with the existing Minnesota Rules of Professional Conduct and the existing published rules and guidelines of the client.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to effectively convey technical, legal information and ensure understanding of client constituents.
Physical job requirements:
- Ability to work at least 40 hours per week
- Ability to utilize keyboard, mouse and computer for up to 3-6 hours per day
- Ability to utilize telephone for approximately 1-3 hours per day
- Ability to perform simple grasping including handwriting, paper manipulation, sorting, folding, etc. periodically throughout entire workday