This role will report to the lead counsel for the Americas – CooperVision and, along with other members of the Americas legal team, will provide legal guidance on commercial matters for CooperVision’s commercial businesses in the United States of America, Canada and Latin America. The role will have a high level of autonomy, so the ability to manage work schedules and be self-sufficient is a must.
Ability to perform and deliver results in line with the Legal Department’s Mission Statement, which is: “As trusted business partners, we leverage our judgment and skill to deliver effective and commercially attractive legal solutions.”
Functions to be supported include Sales and Marketing, Human Resources, R&D, Information Services, Supply Chain, Regulatory Affairs/Quality Assurance, Finance and Operations.
Essential Functions & Accountabilities:
- As part of the Americas legal team, provide guidance and support on all legal matters directly to internal clients and by assisting the lead counsel for the Americas – CooperVision, as well as other members of the Legal Department.
- Responsible for directly structuring, negotiating and drafting various contracts, including supply, distribution and purchase agreements. This activity will include arrangements in Canada and Latin America, which will be important focus areas for the role.
- Proactively assess potential legal risks to the business and work with members of the teams the role will support in order to develop and implement systems and solutions to manage these potential risks.
- Deliver or assist in developing guidance, and delivering training and communications regarding competition law, advertising issues and other legal / compliance subject matters.
- Advise on privacy law and compliance matters for the Americas region.
- Instruct and manage external counsel, where required, to ensure local law compliance and effectively manage litigation, with suitable supervision and guidance.
- Support all enabling functions (including Sales and Marketing, Human Resources, R&D, Information Services, Supply Chain, Regulatory Affairs/Quality Assurance, Finance and Manufacturing) on legal issues.
- Proactively partner and work with other CooperVision, CooperSurgical and The Cooper Companies legal team members to drive local alignment with global best practices and active knowledge sharing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Admitted (and in good standing) to practice as an attorney in a U.S. state (and/or another jurisdiction in which the person can qualify for registration as an in-house counsel).
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in working in an in-house environment or large law firm is preferable.
- Generalist with a broad base of commercial and corporate experience.
- Demonstrable experience in marketing and advertising law will be a distinct advantage.
- Background in medical devices, pharmaceutical or health care industry is preferable, though not essential.
- Substantial experience drafting and negotiating contracts for commercial transactions; and the ability to analyze contracts and communicate to internal stakeholders.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple projects and clients.
- The ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of other disciplines, often across regions and time zones.
- Excellent eye for business issues and ability to think strategically.
- The ability to build and maintain strong client relationships.
- Prolonged sitting in front of a computer and using the telephone/conference facilities.
- Although based in the company’s Victor (Rochester), New York or San Ramon, California office, when permitted during or after the COVID pandemic, the role may involve travel to other areas of the company’s America’s region, including Canada and Latin America.
- Experience of delivering pragmatic legal advice to meet commercial objectives.
- Admitted (and in good standing) to practice as an attorney in the United States (and/or another jurisdiction in which the person can qualify for registration as an in-house counsel)
- Juris Doctorate received from an accredited law school (or similar degree from an educational institution outside of the United States).
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year university (or similar degree from an educational institution outside of the United States).