Northmarq is looking for an individual to join its expanding Legal and Compliance team as an Associate Corporate Counsel. This is an opportunity for a driven individual who can provide high-quality, complex, solution-oriented legal services to various areas of the organization.
This position will also supervise and monitor the Legal and Compliance functions of the Operations Department and projects assigned by Senior Management, executing on all areas of responsibility to achieve operational objectives in compliance with Company and Investor policies and procedures.
DAILY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Draft, negotiate, and review servicing contracts, servicing agreements, sub-servicing agreements, escrow agreements, and other legal communications.
- Oversee Servicing’s Compliance and Audit responsibilities (Annual Compliance, Investor Audits, Internal Audits, S&P) and ensure all business operations comply with regulated areas (SCC, SOX, RegAB, USAP).
- Communicate with external Legal Counsel on legal matters.
- Lead a team of Loan Operations Analysts/Specialists in the completion of Audits, Reporting, Compliance, Lender Certifications, and Securitizations.
- Proactively identify business gaps in terms of compliance to ensure sustainable success through company growth.
- Maintain business contacts and act as a liaison with outside groups and professional associations to keep the company abreast of advancements/developments in the industry.
- Provide borrowers, lenders, and internal customers with prompt, quality service in a friendly and professional manner.
- Involved in refining and improving policy and procedures which impact Commercial Servicing and is necessary to run the department efficiently and effectively. Develop and implement systems to create consistency within the department.
- Ensure that all areas of responsibility are performed in accordance with organization and Investor standards, policies, and procedures.
- Serve on teams with Supervisors and Managers to effectively accomplish the objectives of the Servicing Department and to provide strategic input into the future relating to growth and quality.
- Assist Senior Management with various projects as needed.
REQUIRED SKILLS, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE
- Juris Doctorate Degree
- 5+ years of substantive experience, preferably in compliance and/or commercial real estate finance
- Knowledge of commercial mortgage servicing standards and practices is preferred, but not required
- Strong background in project management is preferred, but not required
- Interactive communication, providing service excellence to internal and/or external customers
- Adapts to work effectively in ambiguous or changing situations, with diverse individuals and groups; while generating viable, new approaches and solutions.
- Focus on achieving high-quality results, consistent with the organization’s standards, in a proactive and consistent manner.
- Commitment to professional growth and remains energized in the face of challenges and constructive feedback