$80K — $100K *
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT
The physician assistant (PA) is a licensed provider who has acquired a broad range of knowledge and skills through the successful completion of a physician assistant program. The PA is responsible for the assessment and management of various populations of patients, medical and/or surgical, including diagnostic and therapeutic interventions, development of appropriate plans of care and ongoing evaluation. The physician assistant works under the supervision of an attending physician and reports directly to the department administrator or chief physician assistant administratively.
The PA will perform in accordance with all state and federal regulations and institutional policies including but not limited to the BWH PA Scope of Practice, Prescriptive Guidelines, approved clinical privileges, and BWH PA policy.
The Associate Chief PA position is a leadership role designed for those physician assistants who have both advanced clinical skills and demonstrated administrative experience to promote the service and help guide its strategic direction in concert with department leadership. The Associate Chief PA position entails those responsibilities defined by both the department/division and PA Services that will become part of the performance evaluation process; one must complete a formal interview process to receive an offer for this position. The Associate Chief PA has a solid line reporting structure to the department/division.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Non-Clinical Duties and Responsibilities:
· Maintains the organization, collegiality and professionalism among the staff PAs
· Teaches, assists, and councils the staff physician assistants to ensure overall compliance with hospital, state, and federal regulations
· In partnership with the chief PA Screens, interviews and hires new staff applicants as needed
· Assists with periodic performance evaluations of the staff physician assistants in conjunction with Supervising MD & Chief PA, including FPPE/OPPE per TJC standards and annual merit reviews
· Works with the Chief PA to maintain staffing level of PAs within the service; assesses needs and delegation of coverage with department leadership
· Works with the Chief PA to organize and manage components of the hiring process, with input from the Division Chief and Medical Directors
· Assist to ensure all components of credentialing and CME for staff PAs are up to date
· Works with Chief PA to Develop and implement orientation procedures and training of PAs
· Completes ninety-day review (FPPE) in conjunction with supervising MD & Chief PA for all new hires
· Prepares annual salary review and documentation for each PA’s merit raise determination in conjunction with supervising MD and department leadership
· Works with the department to ensure annual HealthStream training completion of all staff PAs
· Manages PA II and Senior PA requirements for all BWFH staff PAs
· Prepares schedules to ensure workweeks are delegated appropriately and distributed/posted in the department/division
· Mediates scheduling conflicts and organizes time off and time away for the staff physician assistants, as directed by Chief PA
· Assists with quality assurance programs as needed to help implement quality improvement efforts
· Attends monthly Morbidity and Mortality meetings
· Oversees data collection and database management efforts for clinical outcomes, as requested
Education & Training:
· Supervises medical students (MD and/or physician assistant) who do clinical rotations in the department as directed by the attending physician
· Teaches students, house staff, nurses, technicians and fellows under the direction of the attending physician
· Provides mentorship and preceptorship to PA students selected from Accredited PA programs
Continuing Education, Research and Quality Assurance:
· Responsible for the organization of continuing education and teaching exercises for the PA group
· Works with Chief PA to organize the orientation and training of new staff PAs and will assess their competence in collaboration with the Director and supervising physician(s).
· Completes the 100 hours of continuing medical education required during each two-year period of employment and attends internal and external education meetings/reads appropriate professional journals to maintain and enhance skills and clinical competence
· Ensures BWFH staff PAs complete their 100 hours of CME and educational requirements as necessary
· Advances managerial /supervisory skills through hospital wide and/or outside training appropriate to deliver optimum patient care.
Billing & Compliance:
· In conjunction with Chief PA works with Billing Compliance and department leadership to ensure the PAs and Supervising MDs are educated and following proper billing compliance rules and methodology
· Attends all staff meetings
· In conjunction with the Chief PA,and department leadership Writes and implements departmental policies regarding PA practice
· Acts as liaison between the clinical and administrative staff
Valid through: 11/9/2020