In association with the Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) for the Area and the COO for the local facility, this role provides leadership for patient care and is responsible for all nursing and other designated patient care functions/services within the hospital organization. The Associate Chief Nursing Officer works under the direction of the CNO to provide direction, leadership, planning, organization and general management for all aspects of patient care ensuring integration of services and compliance with long range objectives and strategies, including the provision of excellent quality services and responsible fiscal management. This role may need to represent for the CNO nursing/patient care on the hospital executive leadership team, at the medical executive committee and medical staff committees. The Chief Nursing Officer may delegate specific areas of oversight for the professional practice of nursing and the provision of nursing care in all licensed or surveyable areas of the medical facility. Oversight is defined as having responsibility for regulatory, quality, service, resources, nursing staff competency and evaluation of the overall delivery of nursing care. Sets standards and drives operational integration of programs by ensuring alignment of communication to nursing. Ensures that programs and initiatives dovetail with Health System goals and key result areas: workplace of choice, quality, productivity and efficiency, financial performance, service and reputation, and innovation and strategic growth.
- Communication and Relationship Management: Develops effective working relationships with key stakeholders and operational leaders.
- Manages organizational relationships in a way that builds and maintains a climate of trust and inspires commitment from others to achieve organization goals.
- Influences and recommends system level changes for the advancement of patient care, with interdisciplinary colleagues and the CNO.
- Works collaboratively with labor partners to achieve organization goals and objectives.
- Participates, as delegated, in defined and established leadership meetings locally and regionally and establishes partnerships with medical facility and regional leadership groups. Participates in medical staff activities and serves on selected medical facility committees.
- Maintains strong collaborative relationship with medical staff leadership and coordinates with medical group partners to provide for the seamless transition of patients across the continuum of care. Senior level communication, presentation, leadership, analytical and problem solving skills required. Effectively communicates with all internal and external constituents, including staff, colleagues, and physicians. Produces and presents oral and written materials to address nursing, healthcare and organizational issues appropriate to the audience.
- Appropriately identify and promptly communicate critical issues and activities to the CNO and to lead the development and implementation of a corresponding plan of action to resolve the situation.
- Communicates effectively as one of the hospital's advocates to members of the community, continually seeking ways to improve and promote the public relations objective of the hospital.
- Actively communicates and embeds the Kaiser Permanente Nursing Vision, Values and Model within the culture in alignment with organizational goals.
- Creates an environment which recognizes and values diversity and designs strategies that address the unique needs of a diverse workforce, patient population, and community.
- Participates in the academic community through advisory and collaborative efforts.
- Provides a supportive and stimulating learning environment for nursing students and other patient care students.
- Addresses and manages conflict in a constructive and productive manner.
- Assesses the current environment and establishes indicators of progress toward cultural competency.
- Provides an environment that engages staff and others in decision-making.
- Business Skills & Principles:In conjunction with medical facility leadership groups, determines the most cost-effective and efficient levels of patient care clinically and operationally; implements such locally.
- Participates, as delegated, in hospital strategic planning process and collaborates with facility management team and the medical staff to develop the overall financial plan for the medical facility.
- Accountable for the efficient delivery of all patient care services for KP members.
- Participates in the development, implementation, utilization and evaluation of cost-effective, medical facility programs, policies and procedures that address the high quality nursing care, treatment and service needs of the patient population.
- Manages patient care processes to ensure optimal utilization management practices.
- Assures short and long-range financial goals are met by establishing and controlling the budgets. Monitors and assesses trends, external environment and internal practices; makes recommendations to develop/adjust strategy to meet the changing business and market conditions.
- Accountable, as directed by CNO, for the preparation and review of department operating and capital budgets based upon criteria supported by volume and expense projections, cost benefit analysis, operating processes and other relevant information.
- Monitors departmental expenses by reviewing variance reports and taking action for adjustments and improvements as needed to ensure optimal productivity standards are met.
- Demonstrates ability to access information and analyze data to make decisions in planning for patient care.
- Coordinates activities between departments to reduce duplication, increase efficiency and achieve higher levels of service.
- Develops and implements quality and utilization standards for patient care services to ensure coordinated plans of treatment, delivery of services that meet members needs, and the cost-effective utilization of necessary services. Utilizes and maximizes effective systems for resource management in nursing, including patient acuity and staffing applications.
- Achieves optimal patient care experience through focused customer service strategies.
- Participates in developing and implementing recruitment and retention strategies to ensure a sufficient and stable workforce of qualified staff members are available to meet the needs of the patients.
- Develops a succession plan for nursing leadership for which ACNO is accountable.
- Recognizes the need for change; adapts to, and motivates others to adapt to values, strategies, goals and plans in response to changing business conditions.
- Demonstrates basic competency in technology applications related to business and clinical functions.
- Optimize computerized electronic medical record system and utilize relevant data to improve patient care outcomes.
- Ensures compliance with legal and ethical issues related to client data, information, and confidentiality.
- Professionalism:Provides vision and leadership for nursing professional practice model
- Creates an environment wherein others are setting expectations and holding each other accountable and in which professional growth is an expectation.
- Maintains personal development plan and measure progress according to that plan.
- Maintains personal and professional accountability.
- Integrates high ethical standards and core values into everyday work activities.
- Contributes to the profession of nursing through professional organizations, publication, and other professional endeavors, including maintaining a professional network of colleagues.
- Leadership:Assures that the clinical perspective is included in organizational decisions.
- Guides the operational implementation of quality improvement initiatives using innovation and evidence-based practice. Generates and encourages innovation and creative solutions to issues or problems. Is able and willing to solve problems from various points of view and make difficult decisions.
- Achieves quality outcomes by utilizing problem identification, process improvement, root cause analysis, and reducing variation to sustain improvements.
- Implements the organization's performance improvement program, including planning, setting priorities, conducting systematic performance assessments, implementing improvements based on such assessments, and maintaining achieved improvements.
- Ensures a professional development program which addresses the needs of clinical and management staff. Provides for employee development and educational programs to meet needs of patient care staff. Creates a structure to ensure a learning environment that fosters growth and development of self and others.
- Coaches and mentors aspiring nurse leaders: Develops a strong management team by setting high standards of behavior, performance, quality, patient care experience, and integrity.
- May need to serve as Administrator or Nursing Leader -On-Call on a regular rotating basis.
- Performs annual employee performance evaluations of direct reports and, through subordinates, ensures that all departmental employees receive annual written performance evaluations.
- Ensures a safe work environment that is based on a zero tolerance for sexual harassment, workplace violence, and verbal and physical abuse.
- Supports the development and implementation of an organization-wide patient and workplace safety program.
- Creates a healthy work environment that promotes employee satisfaction.
- Builds trust with the nursing team through visibility.
- Serves as change agent when patient care work/workflow is redesigned. Provides and assists in direction to all patient care services within the hospital license in order to integrate services and provide uniform standards of care.
- Knowledge of Health Care Environment:Understands, articulates, and ensures compliance with patient care standards reflected in federal and state regulation, The Joint Commission, California Nurse Practice Act, and organizational policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of accreditation and regulatory requirements applicable to patient care and/or other department functions.
- Understands the impact of legislation at the state and federal level on nursing and the organization.
- Maintains knowledge of current nursing practice, roles and functions within nursing and other healthcare disciplines.
- Ensures that nursing practice and clinical policies and procedures are reviewed and updated and are consistent with current standards and evidence-based practice.
- Encourage staff participation in clinical studies that provide outcome measurements.
- Supports a just culture environment and a system for reporting unsafe practices.
- Ensures that the care delivery model, clinical environment of care and related technology is appropriate to the needs of caregivers and patients.
- Identifies, mitigates and takes action to correct areas of risk/liability in patient care.
- Kaiser Permanente conducts compensation reviews of positions on a routine basis. At any time, Kaiser Permanente reserves the right to reevaluate and change job descriptions, or to change such positions from salaried to hourly pay status. Such changes are generally implemented only after notice is given to affected employees.
- Minimum five (5) years of progressive experience in clinical, management and leadership roles within hospital operations.
- Bachelor's degree in nursing required.
- Master's degree in nursing or related field required (Health Administration, Business, Public Health, or management).
License, Certification, Registration
- Current California RN license by date of hire.
- National certification in nursing administration or advanced nursing administration required within 4 years for an incumbent Associate Chief Nursing Officer assuming position, and within 2 year of a newly hired Associate Chief Nursing Officer assuming position.
- Strong communication, presentation, leadership, analytical and problem solving skills required.
- Ability to lead and manage through influence and change.
- Thorough knowledge of federal and California State laws and regulations such as: Knox-Keene Act, Federal HMO Act, TJC, and all applicable Medicare and Medi-Cal regulations.
- Significant leadership experience in regulatory surveys.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results in a union environment.
- Proven ability to deliver results for meeting organizational objectives.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
Job Number: 766284